Options

Another Crypto Question

mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
Which of the following is NOT a true 3DES mode?

1. DES-EEE1 uses one key

2. DES-EEE2 uses two keys

3. DES-EEE3 uses three keys

4. DES-EDE2 uses two keys
Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.

Comments

• Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    Answer: A

Explanaiton: The following are the correct modes for triple-DES (3DES): DES-EEE3 uses three keys for encryption and the data is encrypted, encrypted, encrypted; DES-EDE3 uses three keys and encrypts, decrypts and encrypts data. DES-EEE2 and DES-EDE2 are the same as the previous modes, but the first and third operations use the same key. There is no DES-EEE1.

reference: All-in-One CISSP Exam guide 3rd. Ed.: Chapter 8, page 629
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hey Mike,

I appreciate what you are trying to do! Even though nobody took an attempt to answer this one, it will remain as valuable info in this forum. I have a request though: please keep the questions in a single topic (i.e. "Question of the Moment") so I can make it a Sticky post, and can add questions occasionally myself. Eventually, i.e. per 10, I can add them to our practice test engine. If you plan to keep this up and have written a bunch of questions, I'll be happy to reward you with an exam voucher or some study material. Feel free to PM me regarding this.

Thanks,
    Johan
  • Options
    f2180f2180 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the webmaster although I was unable to access this site the whole of yesterday, (DDOS?) or I would have attempted to answer it. I honestly think Mike is doing a great job.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    f2180 wrote:
    I was unable to access this site the whole of yesterday, (DDOS?)
    We should have noticed it (based on traffic stats as well, as intrusion detection system, and I've been only most of the day myself). Feel free to shoot me an email next time though.