any good cbts besides INE to learn ccnp voice

I have the ine voice series and really do not have the patience to watch it. The instructor just drones on and on and the videos aren't in HD even though they say they are.

I watched cbt nuggets 640-460 and found it real informative learned alot with him white boarding in between live demonstration really made me feel like I was in a class. But I wish they would have him update the ccnp voice videos on cbtnuggets.

What other cbt videos besides ine do you guys recommend for ccnp voice that has a classroom like feel? I would prefer going to a class but the closest place to me that is offering the program that isn't a bootcamp that runs for 13 weeks its in ny and they're not sure when they will run it again due to lack of interest. Thinking about using skillsoft its only $240 for the whole cisco series tried the demo looked good but idk.

Comments

• Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for ccnp voice training.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    IPexepert has them, but the people who bought them are saying anything good about them. Its a user on this board who has them maybe he can give more targeted advice. CBT nuggets won't be enough to get you through any CCNP V level exam, but the gateway gatekeepers and CVOICE ones and QOS will prob get you through the new CVOICE exam.

1 Last thing to add if you don't have the patience to watch them log onto the cisco website and watch some of the vidoes there and go onto the cisco live website and download PDF's. Lab your way through the ideas and read up on the SRND's and CUCM Admin guides.

Voice is not route/switch by any means and can ware you out. It took me 4 years to get my CCNP V
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    I'm in a CVOICE training class from GK retails for $3500 aint BAD.. but aint great.. I know Mark Snow just goes ON AND ON AND ON...

I'd probably suggest to you to go with books and just get through it.. Voice is something you need to learn from experience..
    I don't plan on solely just using a cbt to get me through the test I have the books and quick reference guides that I've been reading. I just need a good video series to give me the visual on the material. INE hasn't been my cup of tea a buddy of mines gave me all of his ine ccie/ccnp voice materials and been watching them but I need the speaker to be a bit more interactive with the material.
    I'd just second what shodown said. You're gonna have to just jump in.. unfortunately CCNP V isnt as covered as R&S..

Do you have your CCNA Voice??
    Have it scheduled in a few weeks. I spoke to an associate of my brother who owns his own consulting company he wants to get all of his clients over to voip. He wants to concentrate on that once the renovations on new facility are complete which will be in a few months. I have to know voice fairly well by March/April that is when he wants me to set up test voip networks at his location prior to launch at client sites.

@ Showdown Not that I dont have the patience its just Mark Snow makes it sound so uninteresting with his unenthusiastic voice.
    Then if the end game is doing the voip installs, quit reading/watching and start labbing

I'd design the voice network and figure out what you wanna do and then figure how to implement it.
    Well I am labbing have a lab at work and a modest one at home. I could just set up a scenario and build on it but before I get that deep I don't want to stumble over simple mistakes that could waste time. I want to learn it as a whole see the big picture then I'll get specific create and troubleshoot my own topologies.
    Hey shodown thanks for the heads up on the cisco live websites pdfs. Just made an account and found some cool pdfs.
    Yes mark snow is not the best at explaining compared to the Brians, he say's "okay" a little too much for me, but I gutted it out. Learning Voice well by april/may is a long stretch. I'm not saying its impossible, but it will be a lot of hard work without some more experience voice engineering showing you the ropes. I've made quite a bit of money buy cleaning up voice installations that have went terribly wrong by guys in your same position. I suggest you guys finding a more experienced voice engineering and paying him the money you would get from the classes and they show you what you need to actually do well at the job. As an example the entire track covers things you prob won't see unless your on a large cluster

Gatekeepers
    SAF
    Hairpining
    CUBE/with Gatekeeper
    Advanced QOS designs
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have the link for the SkillSoft CCNP-V offering, found the individual courses but no pricing...$240 does sound good.

I've seen IPExperts (CCNA-V, CCNA-S), lots of whiteboard, little hands-on. Also be aware their CCNP-V course is not complete. CVOICE and CIPT1 are ready, but the last 3 are still in development. Last time I asked them they said March 2012, 5 months on and they are still marked as pre-order.

If you want some walk-thru labs, have a look at RouteHub master/voice collection, probably 90% hands-on and v.well priced. Downloadable with 12 months of updates.

Mark Snow? Yeah, last time I made a comment here I earned a demerit...but, v.dry and seems to wander off on tangents at times and has a thing for the word "cannonical".icon_lol.gif
    azaghul wrote: »
    "cannonical".icon_lol.gif

Thats the other word I couldn't think of it.
    Currently Reading

I watched some demos on the routehub website only thing that bothers me is that his mouth sounds real juicy when he talks. He does give a good breakdown though. Are you saying ipexperts ccnpv isnt complete?
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I watched some demos on the routehub website only thing that bothers me is that his mouth sounds real juicy when he talks. He does give a good breakdown though. Are you saying ipexperts ccnpv isnt complete?

They all have their quirks I guess, just like the rest of us...but the RouteHub updates are fairly regular and the collection covers all voice products.

I keep an eye on IPExperts from time to time, but CCNP-V still not complete, no progress for the last 6 months, you could try asking sales as I'd be interested to find out their "expected" delivery date. CVOICE and CIPT1 are available, but the rest...TBA.
    I think that they got too many complaints and are re-doing what they had orginaly planned. There hasn't been too many Voice instructors who do once series then are gone. When Mark S 1st did the CCNA V and CCNP V they were horrible rehashes of older material with new videos added in. When he did them from the ground up again they came out way better and I think they are pretty much the best thing you can get at this point. I've been keeping pretty good notes of my CCIE V studies and I have been thinking about writing a VOIP cookbook type of book, but i'm not sure how many people would be interested.
    Currently Reading

Depends on how long it'll take to you to write..but i'd probably be up to read it.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea IPExpert bored me to death but it seemed pretty detailed, I'm just bad at sitting through videos to begin with though. But I thought that it's pretty ridiculous for a company to promote and market that they have CCNP: Voice videos when in fact they only cover the first two exams so far. Especially since they charge over twice the amount compared to INE.

CCNP: Voice track is killin' me; I've had to beg, borrow, and steal (well maybe not steal) to just get the equipment I need to tackle this beast. They really weren't kidding when they said voice is one of the more expensive tracks, I'm seriously considering going down another track for the time being until I can gather more funds. Maybe just CCNP R&S and a design track for the time being.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    azaghul have you tried any skillsoft products for cisco training?
    azaghul have you tried any skillsoft products for cisco training?

No, I've not dealt with SkillSoft products before.
    drkat wrote: »
    Cisco's gone way to far with their voice system.. it's a beast

I'll second that...I've spent 3 years deploying TDM PBX's and 12 years supporting a 20,000 extn NEC enterprise network that included a distributed contact centre. Config and support was relatively straight forward (until it came to Genesys integration).

CUCM just seems way to complicated, all in the name of "flexibility". Does there really need to be so many variations on something as common as call forwarding as an example?
    If people are interested I can do some webex's to cover some stuff. All I ask for is some Recommendations on Linkedin. I can't go over each book end to end, but I can cover enough to get people up and going. I have a pretty decent lab, CUCM 7-8-X with Unity and UCCX, a UC500 a few sites and plenty of phones.
    Currently Reading

not a bad idea. half the stuff in the book(s) I dont even do at work lol
    Yea shodown sign me up.
    You mentioned experiencing messy installs that you fixed; in the webex's can you elaborate on what you mistakes you've seen and how to prevent them. Also, whats the "best" way of doing the installs in comparison to cisco's way.
    Sure I can show you some of the problems are. The best way is doing it Cisco's way 90 percent of the time. The other 10 percent pertains to your enviorment which is the what you learn off experience.
    Currently Reading

are you going to record your lectures or stream it live?
    I'll prob record, but keep them to myself to refine skills. my goal is to become a trainer in the next 20 years. so I want to get a start now, so by the time I'm ready I already have mastery of it.
    Currently Reading

Yea I was thinking of doing something a little similar on youtube in the next few months. More so to gauge my understanding by explaining it and teaching it hence one of my previous posts a few weeks ago were asking about writing pads for the computer. Whenever you have some stuff ready to watch pm me. A tips and tricks video on installs and how to avoid common mistakes that you've seen from a seasoned voice engineer will be gold in my book.
    Yea I was thinking of doing something a little similar on youtube in the next few months. More so to gauge my understanding by explaining it and teaching it hence one of my previous posts a few weeks ago were asking about writing pads for the computer. Whenever you have some stuff ready to watch pm me. A tips and tricks video on installs and how to avoid common mistakes that you've seen from a seasoned voice engineer will be gold in my book.

I plan on doing them live so people can ask questions, as far as mistakes I can do a few, but most of the time it depends on the situation your in.
    Currently Reading

I know everyone makes mistakes but I'm going by your previous comment that you fixed disasters that were done by previous installs. I would like to know how to avoid those pitfalls and for you to elaborate during your live sessions.