Compact Car

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,

I am looking to get a new 4 door car. So far I have 3 in my list which are Honda Civic Sedan 2012 (automatic), Hyundai Elentra 2013 (automatic) and Dodge Dart 2013.
I want to keep the price range under 22k.
I want to hear your opinion about these car models.

I believe the Honda comes with manual version and the Dodge is manual only. I have been driving automatic since 2004, but I have driven a manual before that when I was learning to drive.
Which one would you prefer automatic or manual and why?
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I started off driving manual and have only been on auto the past two years. For long journeys I definitely prefer manual, it just feels like I'm "driving" as opposed to just pointing and shooting. For town driving, which is 90% of my driving, I definitely prefer auto - no need to constantly change down and back up in traffic.

I have a soft spot for Honda - for a short while I drove a '94 Honda Civic adn I currently drive a CRV.Unfortunately Hyundai have a slightly tainted image in my country as the first Hyundai's to be brought in were quite unreliable. I've read a number of good reviews about more recent Hyndai's but I still believe (could be bias) that Honda's are of better build.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Even if I could drive a stick, I wouldnt because in the chance someone needed to drive my car.....most wouldn't be able do or they would ruin it.

Good web site.

Best Affordable Small Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I sat in the Dodge Dart, it's good little fwd car. It has a lot of storage: Ie: Under the passenger seat cushion (Not the entire seat) is a fold-up storage compartment. It's roomy in the back.. and if you're into the Gen 2 New Charger LED back, it's got that too. It's not a manual-only car, either. The dart I seen was an AT. It's definitely a car that you need to go check out, test drive, maybe even rent it (Many dealerships will rent cars for a day or so). Kick the tires around. I was impressed by the little dodge dart - and I was thinking the exact opposite just looking at the dodge front picture.

I'm not a fan of the Civics. I've test drove several cars, and the civic, for me leaves me feeling disconnected. The steering feels more loose to me that I prefer. Friends have owned them. It just seems like it's got a different identity, or is missing it's own.

Hyundai is trying to make a come back in terms of quality. I would (still) approach with caution. But im sure you could use this as leverage on the dealership.

I'd recommend the Scion FR-S/Suburu BRZ if you're looking for a good driving experience. Coming from the RX-8 family, when I test drove the FR-S, it felt equally as awesome and responsive. It begged to be driven harder than a small test drive could've given. But honestly I could never own a "Scion" badged car. But that's my taste, I'd rather jump on the Subbie instead. However, it's out of the range.

I believe in everyone should be able to know the technical side of driving a stick shift. It doesn't take a lot of time to learn the basics, and it's quite fun. Although, if it was city driving I'd opt for a AT or a sports/paddle shifter model. Anywhere with a lot of slow speed, stop, go. It's frustrating not to let the clutch on, and just go. I would definitely get a manual if it's a car worth something- As a deterrent for car theft. I personally won't talk to a sales person who cannot drive a stick shift. Trust me, there's a lot of those.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Does it have to be brand new? If not, I can highly suggest a pre-2005 Ford Focus. Amazingly cheap and shockingly reliable. Also, manual is where it's at, one of the best theft deterrents around. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    I think you should also consider taking a look at a Chevy Cruze or a Ford Focus in that realm. They are two of the higher ranked cars. As far as manual/automatic I just got sick of dealing with a manual in traffic and like SteveLord said most other people can't drive it (which could be a good or a bad thing).
    WGU grad
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I recently got a new car... Auto Nissen, drive ask the ones you listed and more and Nissan drive the best with a cvt auto
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The new Ford Focus ST's that's about to come out looks pretty cool and most likely good performance with decent gas mileage. I drive an 07 STI myself and you can find them used in pretty good condition under $22k easily. They're compact plus have quite a bit of cargo room but the money on maintenance is going to be more, it's a gas hog, and it sometimes brings a lot of attention both good and bad.

If I lived in a decent climate area though I would consider the newer Mustang GT 5.0's. The new Mustang GT's are the best bang for the buck performance wise and the quality is a lot better from what I hear. My modded STI can't keep up with one stock lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    I've fallen in love with the '13 shelby. Mmm.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why do people from America (i'm assuming thats where most of you are from?) not seem to know how to drive a manual? over here in the UK and nearly all of Europe everyone can drive a manual and auto. If someone says I can't drive a manual only an auto, it usually is assumed here that the person is either disabled or old

I'm not critisizing just curious as it is mentioned. Maybe more of a cultural thing? habit? are autos cheaper in the US or more exorbitant?
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    I've heard that in Italy that you'll mostly find Manuals, and not Autos. I had a conversation with a waiter about cars at a restaurant.

I think it's out of need. Automatic is seen mostly as a convenience when it was introduced and caught on as the lazy-way to do it. It's preference, I prefer knowing both - just in case I do need to drive a Manual again. Most people would rather do other things than shift their car :)

I prefer having my oven mitt over my knob and shifting gears with it. It gets hot in the south and a metallic knob burns.

• sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    It's difficult to hold a bucket of soda when you have to shift gears, that's why :)
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    ...Or talk on the phone, text, read the newspaper on the steering wheel, or apply makeup.
    WGU grad
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Most people would rather do other things than shift their car :)

I prefer having my oven mitt over my knob and shifting gears with it./QUOTE]

My British humor is working overtime here. You have had me in stitches of laughter with those comments. Absolutely filthy.lol
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I'm planning on buying a new Nissan Versa Sedan for my commuter car. Under 12k MSRP for manual, just over 13k for CVT. 38mpg.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

thats what i got

versa has been great i get 36~41 mpgs with practical driving
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm planning to get a 2013 Mustang by the end of the year or January 2013 at the latest. My '86 Honda Prelude is starting to wear down and I need a replacement car. It's a good compromise of a sports car with horsepower, performance, and decent MPG.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • FrostbiteFrostbite Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had a Civic and they're great, reliable, fuel efficient cars. Have you thought about the Subaru Impreza though? It's in your price range, gets good gas mileage and has the added benefit of being all-wheel drive.
  • glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see you live in MD...my subaru has served me well here. You can definitely get a nice base model for under $22k
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My personal preference is manual, but I have had an automatic for 5 years. Like others have said, I feel like I am actually driving when I have to shift gears. Plus, when you have a 400+ HP car, an automatic is just not as fun!! icon_lol.gif

For different reasons though, a manual is cheaper, gets better gas mileage and can give you more control of your speed when driving. An automatic is automatically putting extra torque on your wheels just being in gear than a manual will. I can remember 3 days after I bought a 1996 Camaro Z28 SS automatic there was a little snow on the ground. I was costing in 2nd gear and it just started spinning the tires and I almost ran into a rock wall. icon_cry.gif Had that been a manual that would not have happened.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can't drive a stick you should not be allowed to drive.
    Three on the tree ...

Oh, and if you are looking into long term savings ... price a rebuild of a manual v automatic
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Most people would rather do other things than shift their car :)

I prefer having my oven mitt over my knob and shifting gears with it./QUOTE]

My British humor is working overtime here. You have had me in stitches of laughter with those comments. Absolutely filthy.lol

>.> I'm glad it was funny.

d95458cb.jpg

My RX-8 Mitt. I had an aftermarket steel shifter. Beautiful Looking. I learned to get quicker shifts because I kept burning my hand. Jess took the picture and posted it on FB.

i still cant get use to an stick shift
    it takes a while to get used to it. Afterwards it's just like walking. The difficulty in the cars is knowing where the clutch catches, where it'll start to shake. After that it's like the rest. Oh and knowing the shift patterns helps - more over, where is Reverse. Real story: Camaro's is all the way right, then up.

Im used to 1/2 3/4 5/6. Reverse being Neutral, press down on the knob, to the top-left. I kept putting the Camaro into reverse. Thankfully, while parked. It's pattern is 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, R/.

I stalled out at stop lights, lights would cycle 3/4 times before I'd be able to get the car to move. It takes time to get used to it, but I was self-taught. I wanted my RX-8, so I decided I'd learn to drive. None of my other family members knew how to drive a stick, and most of my friends didn't know / care.

afe97aa5.jpg

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What are your thoughts on the RX-8? My wife is really wanting one, however some of the maintenance concerns have me worried.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a 2006 Honda Civic coupe and it has served me well. Got it in October of 2005 and only had two real issues with it. One the starter went, but it was my fault (stupid puddle). Two, the sunroof auto button no longer works so I have to manually hold it to open and close it. Other then that I have 102000 miles and besides keeping up on my oil changes haven't really done anything to it. Not going to lie though, the Dart is a sweet looking car!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    It's a brilliant car. Absolutely one of the best cars i've had the pleasure of driving. Great handling. Power is instant. It's a car that feels great to drive without going fast. I had the R3 model for 2009 (Gen 2), Aurora Blue.

A lot of issues like flooding the engine were fixed. I didnt have any issues with my rx-8. Clutch was great, it lasted through me and my fiance learning how to drive. I didn't have any maintence issues and I was going on 50k. Because it had a manual, I had 2 oil coolers. I bought aftermarket oil screens to help deflect pebbles away from the oil fins.

It wasn't really unusual, except I got a lot of attention "What is that?" or "That's a race car mommy!" and "It's sexy", my coworker keyed my trunk and people always knew where I was. Otherwise, I didn't have any complaints. The lack of power never bothered me, I never really had the opportunity to top out my car at 130~ I did that once, at Pennsylvania. It had plenty of power to pass at 80 mph speed limit (70, but most people go 80).

As far as maintence: My opinion of it is that if you don't want to put oil in your car, then you probably should stay away from trying to maintain a car beyond 2 years. Every other gas stop, I'd pop up the hood, put in oil some oil.

Firm feeling, steering was great. Round feeling was surperb - even for 13+ hour rides. I wasn't sore.

It's not much of a utility car. Although saying it has 4 doors helped a lot. It was able to fit things that I wouldn't dare try in a normal 2-door coupe. I was able to fit a fridge (for my office), tv (51 inch) , and stuff in the back seat without having to dislodge the seats.

If I have my way and Mazda makes another RX-7/8, I'd buy it. Without a second thought.

I'd still have my rx-8, but I wanted Jessica to get her license. I traded it in. Sad day. Now she has her license, and her car - im looking for a new car. Im probably going to jump for a Suburu BRZ because it reminded me of the RX-8 in terms of enjoying the drive. Although looking at the maintence sheets from Toyota, changing the spark plugs may require an engine lift.

• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Finally just got home. For those who lives in MD, you know how bad is i495. Unfortunately, that's the route I have to take every day.
    My first choice was to get a manual car and when I thought of the traffic, I thought the automatic would be better.
    My sibling has a Jeep manual and I could probably borrow it for to practice. I could drive a manual vehicle just need practice. I used to drive Civic and L300 van and they were manual vehicles. I still remember how heavy to turn the steering wheel.

The RX-8 and BRZ are both nice cars, but they are 2 door cars.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    rx-8 is a 4 door. 2005_mazda_rx8_doors.jpg
    It's the only reason why I was able to move my fridge, furniture pieces, as well as a large TV. the center console is a bit of a pita though.

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Dodge cars look nice. But would never own one again. Don't trust them anymore after owning a Neon and a Caravan. Its Japanese or Ford for me.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    I've heard "Found On Road Dead". I don't have any experience with American cars. Japanese seem like a sure bet, and German - after the VW Jetta (My current) and VW New Beetle (Jess') I refuse to buy another german car.

I'll put it this way, my Jetta is currently in the shop for engine issues and I haven't had it for almost running on 2 weeks. Already they had to replace a "Cam Follower". I looked for what that is but never really spent time to understand or to really know what it is. Although, after changing it out - the problem is still there so the Dealer is looking again at it. It's slow to startup, unless already warmed up. Installing the stero is just a pita too. Frustrating.

The Beetle just has issues galore. Under 50k, used. I had to rip the alternator out, serpertine belt, tensioner, and worked on trying to get the starter out. All to find out that the battery was too small for a beetle. It still has issues with power draining, yet the alternator already tested okay and there isn't a grounding issue that I could find. *shrugs* It's the next car to get in the shop but seeing as we both live in our cars... we need a mobile home :P

My two corollas, and my RX-8 didn't give me any major issues. I cleaned the Mass air flow sensor for the last corolla at 130k, and it perked right back like nothing happened. Until another corolla totaled it!