On the Hunt

biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey folks,

I got let go from my current job today. They were looking for someone with more IIS/PHP style training and I was just a fill-in until they found someone evidently. If anyone has any connections in the Birmingham, Al area I would appreciate a hookup.

Thanks,
Gene

Comments

• RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Sorry to hear man- was IIS/PHP advertised as a big part of the job? How were things going on there both work wise and relationship wise? How long were you there? Usually if it is a technical shortcoming, they can work with that and get the training necessary. Anything else going on you think could point to a possible cause?

Good luck, Gene. I am sure things will work out for you!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the vote of confidence man.

The position was advertised as a Jr Server Admin position, and as far as I could tell everything was going just fine. I was only there for 5 months, but all indicators were that i was doing very well. It really sucks because I loved the job, it was the first admin type job I had. Everything else in my career, 15 years now, has been help desk or desktop support (I haven't really treated IT as a career until the last 2 years, was completely complacent to just float along and be the flunkie. Glad that has all changed now). I think the major cause I can identify is that a Sr managers son in law just graduated from ITT with a Networking degree, so I am pretty sure I got kicked to the curb so he would have a job.

I know this just means God has something much better in store for me. I am confident that He will open a window where I think a door has closed.

Thanks again for the support,
    Gene
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    biggene wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I got let go from my current job today. They were looking for someone with more IIS/PHP style training and I was just a fill-in until they found someone evidently. If anyone has any connections in the Birmingham, Al area I would appreciate a hookup.

Thanks,
    Gene

It doesn't sound like they ever told you that you were just a fill in or they were still hunting for someone after they hired you which is really messed up of them to do imo.

Good luck in your hunt.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    I've had a couple of jobs where it was just a fill in until they either found someone else or just to get the company caught up and was never told. It sucks but it happens. Hopefully something better will come along soon.

Good luck in your search.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    @biggene: I couldn't help noticing that you mentioned in your old thread back in 2006 that you were debating on going back to school to get a degree. Did you, by any chance, go back to school within the last 6 years? If not, then you need to start making investments on certs and education. Your knowledge will become obsolete if you continue to perform the same job without making any minor changes and not pursuing certifications relevant to your job responsibility in long term.
    No,

I never did go back to school, and I haven't gotten any other certifications since then either. I had pretty much become burned out on my career after struggling for the past 5 and a half years to actually move up to the position I had. I had actually forgotten all about that thread, but I can see now where I am one of the people who is regretting the wasted time I have spent just floundering. I had already set an appointment with the Admissions office at my local community college a couple of weeks ago, and I have been contemplating whether to start there, or just bite the bullet and start a full bachelors program at WGU. The great thing about it is that my wife is behind me 10 %, and I am at the point where I am ready to do something about my career.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. I know it might not make much sense, but it has actually helped clear my head some.

Gene
  • someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats messed up.. GL to ur future endeavors man
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    biggene wrote: »
    The great thing about it is that my wife is behind me 10 %, and I am at the point where I am ready to do something about my career.

Thanks for listening to me ramble. I know it might not make much sense, but it has actually helped clear my head some.

Gene

I hope that's a typo, I feel for you if not! My wife is behind me about 10%, I hope to get her 100% behind me sometime in the near future.
    clarknova wrote: »
    I hope that's a typo, I feel for you if not! My wife is behind me about 10%, I hope to get her 100% behind me sometime in the near future.

Lol,

Yes that was a typo. That's what I get for posting in the thread at 2 am I guess. She is definitely behind me 100% and always has been.

Gene