Verizon can't charge for wifi tethering anymore

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Just curious,

Do each tethered device use up a different ip address? or can your smartphone or mifi "route" tethered traffic so that overall you only use one ip?
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i wonder if that applies to my grandfathered in unlimited data plan
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @demonfurbie - funny you said that. that was the first thing that crossed my mind.

@Bokeh - thanks for sharing. I know what I will be doing tomorrow - where I work we pay Verizon a mint in mobile fees.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They'll just start charging even more per gigabyte now to offset this
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only applies to 4G tethering, watch them cut 4G and only allow tethering over 3G.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    i wonder if that applies to my grandfathered in unlimited data plan

I am in the same boat, wondering if I can use the built in Verizon tethering now? If you're rooted there is an app called "wifi tether" that works very well and Verizon has never said anything about using it (I'm sure it is/was against TOS).
    mapletune wrote: »
    Just curious,

Do each tethered device use up a different ip address? or can your smartphone or mifi "route" tethered traffic so that overall you only use one ip?

Each get their own IP. What it does is turn your phone into an Access Point.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Tackle & Mapletune, I believe tethering will use NAT in many cases. It depends on the device/app/service. Using your phone as an access point will likely result in the use multiple public IPs, but I would imagine most corded tethering uses NAT. Either way, Mapletune, what you are describing is NAT.

It will be interesting to see what Verizon does. High-bandwidth free tethering is definitely attractive.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well those with the grandfathered plans will probably need to be worried. Lucky people.

I'm sure that the "Unlimited" data plans will somehow be 'glitched' and you'll be unable to recover the old plan. I believe that's already happened, I don't see why it can't happen again :P

I can already see plan prices will be increased equally among everyone to offset this loss.

They could also kill tethering altogether.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I talked with a Verizon Rep, he said you're able to keep the grandfathered Unlimited plan until a change is made (upgrade phone, add features, any change in services). This was a week before the June 28th switch to Share Everything.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup only way to keep the unlimited plan is to pay full price for the phone when your contract is up.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    or just not upgrade the phone
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am switching to Virgin Mobile eventually and going with the prepaid. I really do not "need" unlimited data and my productivity will probably go up lol.

The cost savings with a prepaid plan is too hard to ignore for me.
    ive thought about that as well , but i live out of the major cities and travel alot so coverage is a major concern for me

if you live in a large city and dont travel much ... prepaid is the way to go
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Interesting that this ruling applies to 4G devices only... what about us 3G users? I would love to be able to use my phone as a hotspot...

Edit: nevermind, I should have read the article first. Apparently this is due to the spectrum licensed for the range that LTE operates in, and the licensing agreement stipulates that the carrier will not restrict device usage.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow