Bloody OSI>......

pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
I will be taking my test on wensday. Unfortuanatly Everything is somehow related to the darn OSI. Plus, having a full understanding of the osi chart is bloody difficult..
Sorry I havent posted in ahwhile. I have been busy as a bee studying for this test. It has actually taken me one week longer than I would have liked to.

Pandimus
Xinxing is the hairy one.

Comments

• tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    your going to pass.. the fact you took the extra time will no doubtly put you over the top..

goodluck.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Unfortuanatly Everything is somehow related to the darn OSI. Plus, having a full understanding of the osi chart is bloody difficult..

Yeah you can't go around OSI when it comes to networking. Unfortunately this is a topic that seems to be hard to grasp for most people ( www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=381 ). "Unfortunately", because the OSI model is developed partly to make it easier to teach as well as learn ("understand") networking.

I think it's also a topic that many people make more difficult than it actually is. If you understand the function of each layer it is usually easy to place a device or protocol/service on one of those layers (if you also understand the function of the device or protocol/service of course). Some say they have trouble remembering the order of the layers... forget about the order, understand what each layer does and they will fall into place automatically. If you take the time to really understand the OSI model (which believe me is much easier than it seems) you will benifit from it for the rest of your IT carreer.

Anyway... icon_silent.gif, if you understand the contents of our OSI Model TechNotes, and you score well on the OSI quiz, you really don't have to worry about it. Most important is to know on which layers the common network devices operate (router, switch, repeater, etc) and the very basic functions of the OSI layers.

Although you probably won't need it: good luck!

(I added a couple of new TechNotes for the Network+ exam, and the last one will be added tomorrow, be sure to read those as well.)
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I agree. Since you are so intent on learning the model of a network, I can't doubt that you can relate that to IEEE802 standards, network devices, and troubleshooting scenarios to a real network setup. That's where the tech has his fun(most of the time)! And that's where this certification exam is supposed to, and does, lead.

At least, that's my view of the matter.

Best of luck to you!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Thanks for all the support. I think i will do ok. I'm just a bit nervous.. IT seems most pretest software encompus more than you really need.

I do want to know this stuff the best I can. Something that is needed throughout the career.. Who really cares about knowing IRQ's, and bla bla ble.. hehe. Anyway, this whole weekend is dedicated to studying.

pandimus
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • carolinacarolina Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I may be sick, but I really enjoyed studying the OSI. I only had about 3 or 4 questions regarding the OSI. However, to learn the model you can download a free quiz on OSI from cert21.com I used this for my A+ and Network+ and the Dummie's series and passed just fine. I also used acronymn's to remember parts of the OSI etc and still remember them now!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
    Carolina icon_wink.gif
    pandimus wrote:
    I will be taking my test on wensday. Unfortuanatly Everything is somehow related to the darn OSI. Plus, having a full understanding of the osi chart is bloody difficult..
    Sorry I havent posted in ahwhile. I have been busy as a bee studying for this test. It has actually taken me one week longer than I would have liked to.

Pandimus
    Carolina
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    it's true that osi knowledge will help you understand networking better, but you have two options:

1) change the date of your exam to try to understand it better; or

2) hope that the topics that you know better will make up for any questions missed on the osi.

sorry i can't give you more help. i had planned on studying for three months for the network+, but i was flexible. i like to think i try to make family and work commitments come first. it was six months before i felt positive that i knew enough to pass the exam and pass it well enough to convince myself that i understood most of all of the objectives, rather than a make-do study and a scrape of a pass.
    A+ Moderator