Passed MTA 98-365 Windows Server Administration Fundamentals

jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
After three days of studying, passed 98-365. Even got my official MCP designation. I used the following to pass the exam:

CBT Nuggets
98-365: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals (Microsoft Official Academic Course) book

I do plan on getting the MCITP but need to finish off my CCNA first.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Could you write a post on your opinion regarding the difficulty and value (as far as skill evaluation) of the exam? Giving some background regarding your experience would be helpful as well. I'd really like to know your opinion of this exam. Thanks and congratulations!
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did have questions from each and every skill being measured as listed at Windows Server Administration Fundamentals.

It was a comprehensive exam. IMO, this is an excellent entry-level exam for learning Server administration. I am going to recommend this exam to anyone who wants an entry-level cert in Windows server.

Even if you have experience with Server, I suggest you study anyway. Why fail the exam because you missed one lousy question?

I'm an "old-school" guy from way back. Anyone remember DOS, Win 3.0, or NT days? Fun times...
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jdancer wrote: »
    Even if you have experience with Server, I suggest you study anyway. Why fail the exam because you missed one lousy question?

I'm an "old-school" guy from way back. Anyone remember DOS, Win 3.0, or NT days? Fun times...

I'm curious about how the questions from an MTA exam compare to questions from a real MS cert exam (like 70-640). Since you have taken the MTA for server, I would like to see a write-up on how the level of difficulty compares between the two. Specifically, I'd like to know if the MTA questions are more straightforward like the CompTIA exams, or will they really help in preparing a candidate for the real MS certs.

Also...I'm one of those "old-school" guys who remembers DOS and Windows 3.1. Started with 5.0, though my high school had an older 286 with DOS 3.3 on it. Went all the way up to DOS 6.22. Fun times indeed... :D
    Never taken a Microsoft exam until 98-365. If I had to compare the difficulty level, I would say it's at the Cisco ICND1 level. So, higher in difficulty than a CompTIA exam. I am sure the MCITP exams are much harder.
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdancer wrote: »
    After three days of studying, passed 98-365. Even got my official MCP designation. I used the following to pass the exam:

CBT Nuggets
    98-365: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals (Microsoft Official Academic Course) book

I do plan on getting the MCITP but need to finish off my CCNA first.

Thanks for sharing your experience. These MTA certifications are great to start on various IT technologies like server administration or security.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • NibletNiblet Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jdancer,

Any advice for someone about to take the exam is it hard ??? might be a silly question but you don't know unless you ask?
    Niblet wrote: »
    Jdancer,

Any advice for someone about to take the exam is it hard ??? might be a silly question but you don't know unless you ask?

Hi Niblet,

Sorry for the belated response but just read your other post on passing this exam. Congrats!

As you figured out for yourself, the exam is comprehensive and studying for it is definitely recommended.

I have previous experience using Server but still the exam can still be hard for someone with no Server experience.
  • davidsussexdavidsussex Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know of any test centres in the South of England where I can take my MTA 98-365 exam?
    Thanks
  • darrengoldsmithdarrengoldsmith Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is this exam open to the public or do still need to be a student at a recongised training organisation
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    is this exam open to the public or do still need to be a student at a recongised training organisation
    the exam is open to the public. you just have to register thru certiport and then found a testing center. I just took and passed a MTA. feels good to have another cert under my belt..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • jrowljrowl Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The tests are not too difficult you will need to know the subject matter well, I passed 5 of them in one sitting.

I had been doing a Cert4 at TAFE, had a LANS LAB class and Server Security class, for the subjects we used the official MTA Microsoft Academy books which were Security Fundamentals and Windows Server Administration. The head teacher at TAFE organised a free day for us to sit for the exams through iccentral, were allowed to do all the MTA and MS office exams. I think normally it costs about $100 for MTA's.

Anyway I really enjoyed the day and it does motivate you to do more MS exams. Right now I am studying Exchange and MCITP:EA and planning to do the tests later this year and you get access to the MCP site where you can view your transcripts or order wallet cards with for MTA's and whatnots on it.

1fwi7o.jpg