Resume critique - Thank you in advance

USM_ITCboyUSM_ITCboy Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've worked on my resume for years now to the point where I'm very happy with it but I'd like the take of the TechExams community to tell me your thoughts/suggestions. Thanks. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_hpQpKENc7PMFNpMW9PZzZtVE0

Comments

• GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    Just a small suggestion, you certifications may take you one step further among others. It is better to make this section a little bit shiny i believe. You may put small pictures of them to the header section. Here is example (it is not me).

http://www.routeralley.com/resume.pdf
  • USM_ITCboyUSM_ITCboy Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks GOZCU. Anything else that anyone sees?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not a fan of graphics on resumes and I think you would get the same advice from most individuals on TE based on what I've seen before.
  • neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. And these look like old certification logos too. Everything about that resume screams "old old old" from the logos to the font.

Novell, really?
  • zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd try to get it onto one page. Possibly by deleting the high school education portion, since if you went to college you went to high school. That could be wrong, it just seems like you're so close to one page that it'd be nice to make that happen somehow.

I'd never list an in-progress cert, but I don't know how others feel about it.

The final line of the summary appears to be bolded to me, I'm not sure if that's intentional. Or if it's my eyes.

I've been told not to use first person on resumes.
  • USM_ITCboyUSM_ITCboy Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've updated it. I've deleted my high school info but it's still 2 pages. I'm thinking of deleting my Juco since I didn't graduate from there but I'm not sure on that yet. What do you guys think?

I didn't add the logos on there because I'm not really feeling those. That summary line is something weird in Google Docs formatting, not your eyes. Lol. It's definitely not in bold though. Didn't even pay attention to the 1st person I was using. Got that taken care of. I was looking elsewhere on TechExams forums where someone mentioned that they would put ACTIVE in-progress certs. That's what made me want to try it.

Edit: I went ahead & deleted the community college & condensed the last job to 2 bullets. The only future problem I see is that NO space so if I needed to add another line or add another job, it would definitely take 2 pages. Resume FAQ: http://www.quintcareers.com/college-grad_resume_FAQ.html
  • zenhoundzenhound Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My feeling is that there comes a point when it is okay to have two pages. Especially in mid and late career, senior type positions. And honestly if you'd had an extra half a page I probably wouldn't have thought it should be one page, but that 1/5th of the second page looked off to me. Just my opinion.

Thanks for letting me know my brain wasn't making up the boldness. Sometimes it's hard to tell...