Difficulty of CCNA Security vs CCNA exam

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
for those of you who have had experience taking the CCNA (640-802) exams and the CCNA Security, how do they compare in difficulty? Do the exam questions overlap, repeat at all, or is it all focused on access-lists, security issues, e.t.c
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    What I've gathered from people I've talked to(and what appears to be the general agreement) is that the CCNA: Sec is easier than the CCNA in that it's much more focused considering there's much less concept that you had to learn and get comfortable with in the CCNA. It focuses on Security rather than being broad like the CCNA is.

Now, as far as what the Sec covers, I can't help you with that. I haven't studied for it nor taken it.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    elderkai wrote: »
    the CCNA: Sec is easier than the CCNA in that it's much more focused considering there's much less concept that you had to learn and get comfortable with in the CCNA. It focuses on Security rather than being broad like the CCNA is.
    Based on my experience of taking both exams, I support this statement.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Once you get the ZBF stuff down, it's pretty easy. You have to have a pretty strong understanding of SDM though.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just had a Stargate Moment. Thought you said "ZPM"

I thought that SDM wasn't a large concern for CCNA, but more so a tool if people wanted to use it. I used it once for my ICND1.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I just had a Stargate Moment. Thought you said "ZPM"

I thought that SDM wasn't a large concern for CCNA, but more so a tool if people wanted to use it. I used it once for my ICND1.
    I meant for the Security track. It was a pretty big part of it a few years ago.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ...ok, well that's a breath of relief. I've always wondered about this lingering question because chances are good that CCNA:S is a good detour before going on to CCNP.
    B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting topic here. I just passed the CCNA and am looking into the Security exam.

Thanks all for your input!