New Book Poll

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hey all,I'm working on a new book for the Linux+/LPIC-1 exam. I am looking to get some feedback from everyone here :)

First question: I'm trying a new writing style by formatting the book as if you were reading a blog. Instead of chapters/sub-sections you would see categories/posts. Do you guys think this is an interesting approach? Would you read a book styled this way or is the standard chapter/sub-section preferred? I thought a "blog style" book would be more fun and interesting to read. Here is a sample to check out: LPIC-1 Sample.pdf

Second question: Are you more inclined to by the eBook for $5 or the physical book for $15? There is a big debate in IT on whether folks still prefer physical copies of books vs their eBook counter parters...so I figured I'd ask.Thanks in advance to anyone that provides feedback icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll hold my response on the writing style until I see it in action - Definitely an interesting concept, though. Also, I would rather pay more for a physical book.
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds interesting. I really enjoyed the Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick, written in a story style. I would think this would be similar.

Personally, I've found inexpensive e-books to be "not so great". If a book is available as a hard-copy, it's more likely to be taken seriously. Also, more people will buy it, which is good, because I won't buy a book unless I can read some reviews on amazon.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I personally would pay the extra to get the physical copy. I have a few eBooks, and would rather have the physical copy instead for all of them.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the feedback all. I just edited the original post to include a sample.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    At the time I was preparing for my LPIC-1 and looking for a guide (not so many at that time), the most that mattered to me was how well the guide corresponds to exam objectives one-for-one and how many pages are dedicated to subjects that seemed important. I ended up compiling my own prep material but passed both exams.
    Not a big fan of blog style prep guides, so many of them are out there sub par to what a candidate would actually need... The "my weekend adventure in linux land" won't exactly prepare you for the test...
    varelg wrote: »
    At the time I was preparing for my LPIC-1 and looking for a guide (not so many at that time), the most that mattered to me was how well the guide corresponds to exam objectives one-for-one and how many pages are dedicated to subjects that seemed important. I ended up compiling my own prep material but passed both exams.
    Not a big fan of blog style prep guides, so many of them are out there sub par to what a candidate would actually need... The "my weekend adventure in linux land" won't exactly prepare you for the test...

This is a good point. I do feel like sometimes there are some decent posts, but they are focused on what the user is working on vs the actual exam. In the approach I'm taking each post is related to a particular exam objective and label which exam and objective it covers.

That being said the "blog style" isn't for everyone...so thanks for the honestly icon_smile.gif
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Physical books are more impressive and can serve to act as scenery! much better than silver balls, and small flowers.

But an e-book is a hell of a lot easier to move with you. Whip it out, pull out Linux+ book, read chapter 1, life goes one.

To answer your question: I'd pay 15 for the physical book. Hoping the a full-sized pdf came with the book as travel-sized.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Almost every physical book I have bought has came with a CD that has the PDF on it. I guess they give you the best of both worlds type deal
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wish all my books had PDFs with them. CCNP books, for example, did not have the full book as a PDF file. Just in case I wanted to use it with an iPad/e-reader.

Likewise, my Security+ didn't come with one. I don't think my Linux+ came with one either. :\
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I agree. I also wish that all physical books came with a digital copy.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really enjoyed the sample chapter thought it was consise and very well laid out, easy to understand and well written,

I would buy a hard copy of this when is it due for release?
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the sample chapter thought it was consise and very well laid out, easy to understand and well written,

I would buy a hard copy of this when is it due for release?

Thanks for the feedback icon_smile.gif

I'm about 50% done with the writing and targeting a late Sept release.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I though the sample chapter was great. I'm not in the market for a Linux+ book, but I generally much prefer e-books to physical. I can carry a tablet around with me easily and have access to hundreds of books. Books look nice on a bookshelf, but they are generally impractical. Just get the ebook formatting right!!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Just get the ebook formatting right!!

I'm taking extreme care to ensure the eBook is formatted properly. Nothing pisses me off more than buying a promising looking eBook only to get halfway through the first chapter and realize the formatting is completely wrong. Not only does it ruin the reading experience, but it makes the author and publisher look like an idiot!

Thanks for the feedback icon_smile.gif
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    To answer your question: I'd pay 15 for the physical book. Hoping the a full-sized pdf came with the book as travel-sized.

You must be a mind reader icon_wink.gif

My target is to price the eBook at $5 and the physical book at $15. The additional $10 is honestly just to cover printing costs, otherwise I'd offer them at the same price...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You must be a mind reader icon_wink.gif

My target is to price the eBook at $5 and the physical book at $15. The additional $10 is honestly just to cover printing costs, otherwise I'd offer them at the same price...

Cool. I still prefer physical books for studying.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey if you get the time in the future you should write a book on Linux Server Administration, and using Open Source technologies to setup a network infrastructure with a difference make the manual easy to follow and aim it at people who are making the transition from Windows.

Covering Topics such as DNS, DHCP, SAMBA, CUPS, LDAP, Mail Server, PXE Boot Server, FTP, Active Directory Intergration,

That would be awesome and I would buy it :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
    @ally_uk - That would be an interesting read indeed. I'll make some notes and return to the idea when I have finished with my LPIC-1 book. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Add another vote for a physical book. I can't stand e-books icon_twisted.gif. Good luck with the book, I will definitely buy the book when it comes out (always supporting our fellow TE'ers).

I would also like to see what the new format may look like.
    I would also like to see what the new format may look like.

The sample "chapter" in the first post has a sample of what the new format will look like.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I wish all my books had PDFs with them. CCNP books, for example, did not have the full book as a PDF file. Just in case I wanted to use it with an iPad/e-reader.

Likewise, my Security+ didn't come with one. I don't think my Linux+ came with one either. :\

I guess I have been getting lucky. I am currently going to take my A+ exam next week, and if all goes to plan I will be studying for the Linux+ after that. I will most def buy your book when it comes out. I would rather pay a fellow TE member then amazon/random person on eBay/etc.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's looking good. I will buy it if it comes out before i take the Linux+ exam
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    ally_uk wrote: »
    Hey if you get the time in the future you should write a book on Linux Server Administration, and using Open Source technologies to setup a network infrastructure with a difference make the manual easy to follow and aim it at people who are making the transition from Windows.

Covering Topics such as DNS, DHCP, SAMBA, CUPS, LDAP, Mail Server, PXE Boot Server, FTP, Active Directory Intergration,

That would be awesome and I would buy it :)

@Ally_uk thats an awsome idea and would prob make the OP a small fortune. I can think of a few people who would buy that.

@OP have had a quick scan through the pdf and it looks quiet good one thing I would surgest is maybe a couple more screen shots. People normally like something to look at. Geeks just like text icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
    @OP have had a quick scan through the pdf and it looks quiet good one thing I would surgest is maybe a couple more screen shots. People normally like something to look at. Geeks just like text icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tip! I'll see what I can do about adding in more screenshots.
  • countolafcountolaf Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How's the progress coming on your book?
    Few setbacks at the moment (stupid day job!). I am hoping to catch up some over the next two weeks...stay tuned.
    Sounds good. I'll be waiting. I am reading the Roderick book right now, and I'd love to read your book after to get a solid understanding.
    Studying For:
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My 2 cents as I am hoping to go for some linux certs soon.

My CCNA books came with pdfs of the books, my CCNP book did not. As for the VMware books, none of the physical books come with ebook. You have to pay extra. At this point, I'm tired of moving physical books. Since I own a kindle, I only get ebooks that are formated as mobi, epub. PDF's are awful on the kindle.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
    Just giving an update...the book is almost there. I will be posting it for sale in about two weeks. Anyone wishing to buy the beta copy can at that time, which includes free updates to the digital edition for life. icon_smile.gif
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I would rather to get eBook (epub format) for $5. Since i take my phone and tablet with me all the time, dont need the extra weight of the book. Also i like apps let you take notes, highlight etc..
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)