702 Time Running Short!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
What's up Forum!!

I'm currently studying for the CompTIA A+ certification. On 7/30/12, I passed the 220-701 with a 779 (not to bad in my opinion). I plan on taking the 220-702 on 8/9/12 to have this certification completed before my fall semester starts. I am working on this certification while currently studying Information Technology (Network Administration). I have heard from people that the exams are similar. Will I have enough time from the start date of this post until 8/7/12 to be prepared for this exam? When they mean similar (without breaking the NDA) do they mean items that may not have shown up on the 220-701 exam but may show up on 220-702? (Ex. RAM Types and features) With my score I got on 220-701, and all the info provided, should I not "freak out" over this 702 and just go in with the attitude of if I don't know it by test date, I'm not going to know it ever? Any Advice/Tips/Opinions? Thanks.

Study Materials:

Pearson Course Kit Official CompTIA A+

TrainSignal Videos CompTIA A+ Training

Transcender Practice Exams (Bundled with Videos) (Good Deal!!!)

ExamCram 220-701/220-702 5th Edition

Comments

• RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    It's similar enough that if you did well on the first test the other shouldn't be a problem. I remember that there was a great deal of overlap, so much so that I wonder why there is even two exams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In regards to overlap (trying not to break NDA) is it more of "taking the 701 over again type questions" or does the 702 have more ("This is the situation, what is the problem/solution)? (Hoping this next question doesn't break the NDA,) were you questioned a lot on printer troubleshooting?
  • timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey kMasta,

I'm taking mine on August 16th. I used CBT Nuggets, Labsim testout, Professor Messer, and A+ forums.
    With my score on the 1st part (779), should there be no problem wit the 702 exam?
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

Your question is akin to asking us "how much money do i have on me right now?"
    I just can't answer that. Only you can.
    All i can say is do as much practice question as possible and make sure you know the troubleshooting stuff especially. Some people find 702 harder than 701, yet others might say 701 is harder than 702. It really is dependent on the individual. The exams are quite similar but 702 is a bit more practical than 701.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    In my opinion, I think you should be fine with the 702. For myself, I'm not so sure icon_study.gif
    @=MrXperti

So basically what you are saying is the overall material is similar (Objective wise for the most part overlap from 701/702) but the type of questions (for 702) are more of "story problem" orientated in a "practical/typical" situation (if my assumptions are right)? And just only I can determine if I'm ready?
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE

A quick look at the CompTIA website and I found this
    "CompTIA A+ Practical Application is an extension of the knowledge and skills identified in CompTIA A+ Essentials, with more of a "hands-on" orientation focused on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems."

As I said it is more troubleshooting based and how you would install stuff but still has similarity to the 701. The questions are a bit more scenario related as you mentioned. Just go through the objectives, learn the material, do some questions etc.

I don't know you (i say this with respect)or your study habits so unfortunately I cannot comment on whether you are ready for the 702 or not.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
    MrXpert, and everyone who commented on this post I appreciate your insight/opinions it means a lot. I'm just nervous about this second part because this will be my first certification and I'm unfamiliar with the entire process/experience and I don't want anything to go wrong. What I learned from this whole experience is I have to trust my gut and give it my all that's all anyone can do in life. If I can pass the first part, it shows I have the knowledge I just need to apply it to the second part. Sorry for the long rant. Thanks everyone!!!!!
    I'm in the same boat as you are right now, Masta icon_study.gif
    @kMastaFlash

We all get nervous so don't worry. When I did my A+ it was also my first major IT cert and I remember being very nervous too especially during the 701. I did not know what to expect at the time. Just try to take it one question at a time. You have plenty of time.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'm taking the test this Thursday and I'll post if I pass or not. :)
  • sincere11105sincere11105 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's official just passed 702 Today. Got out of testing center few minutes ago and had to post it. Now I'm A+ certified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • snipes1snipes1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratz on passing 702, how did you find taking the exam?
    @snipes1

It was a bit harder then 701 but if you can pass 701, 702 should not be a problem :)
    thank you, im just hoping to pass 702 cuz of when the windows 8 comes out they'll be adding more stuff and have learn alot more than before
    My best form of advice trust your gut and don't overthink or second guess (unless there is major uncertainty). The 701 shows you know the "essentials" now you need to "apply" the knowledge in 702. Not sure if that last part helps
    yo m8 all the information you gave me will help me out with exam all I need a pass over 700 and that do me fine, i found out with 701 is that if you read question you will know what the answer is.