Passed RHCE

localhostlocalhost Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am very excited to say that I passed the RHCE test (second attempt)!!

After months of studying I enjoyed powering off my lab machine and putting the study books on the shelf.

Going to take a few months off to relax then start on my next certification.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! :) Any idea on what you are going to pursue next?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! I'm jealous. icon_lol.gif

How long did it take you to prepare for it? What resources did you use? What's your experience with Linux? I am sure many of us would like to know how you accomplish it.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • localhostlocalhost Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the last 5 years I have been supporting Linux part-time (50% of my time is on Microsoft and 50% Linux). I used Jang’s RHCE book, Linux in a Nutshell for reference, and countless Google searches.

The EX200 was fairly easy for me as I have Linux+/LPIC 1 and the requirements are normal day to day tasks. But the EX300 really caught me off guard the first try. I thought I was ready but wasn’t.

In total, with the retake of EX300, I spent about 5 months preparing. I started off slow, only spending a 4 or 5 hours a week preparing, as the exams got closer the more time I spent.

Haven’t really decided what cert to try for next. Maybe LPIC-2, or CISSP. My ultimate goal would be to completely drop the MS support and go 100% Linux.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks for taking your time to reply back. I really appreciated it. I don't think you should do any of the LPIC exams but I could be wrong. You are on the right track, and IMHO, you are pretty marketable right now in the Linux world. The next Linux/UNIX step I think you should take is to get Oracle Solaris certs if your employer actually use their OSes. The only problem with this is that you are required to take their $3K training course if you want to become certify.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    I took the Oracle Solaris 10 Admin test, just before they imposed the classroom requirement. There are a number of classes that meet the classroom requirement, but the cheapest is still $2K, plus travel expenses. The cert is two test, each were $300 when I took them.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations on passing a touch exam icon_cheers.gif

More RHCEs on TE icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome news. Congratulations on your accomplishment.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations and welcome to TE's small RHCE Club icon_wink.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    congrats and best of luck in the future! =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats! And way to be persistent!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    Congrats! That's one of the biggest achievement! so wanna be like u...
    localhost wrote: »
    Haven’t really decided what cert to try for next. Maybe LPIC-2, or CISSP. My ultimate goal would be to completely drop the MS support and go 100% Linux.

may be RHCA ? :)
  • localhostlocalhost Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the “congrats”

@JayTheCracker
    In 2003 I was let go from a high paying tech job, at the time I didn’t have any certs or degree. For 6 months I was looking, and even though I had 5 years experience, no one was calling me on my resume. That’s when I started achieving certifications. Once I had my A+ and Net+ I was able to get an entry-level position, with a 75% pay cut from my last job. I stuck with that job for a little over 2 years while I achieved more certifications. Those certifications gave me the edge I needed over others who applied for my current job. Now, after 6 years I try to achieve 1 new cert a year.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, all the certs I have didn’t come overnight, It took 9 years. And, I believe that anyone with the motivation can do just as well, or actually even better than me.

But RHCA? Now that’s just crazy talk…icon_lol.gif Who knows, may start down that road in the future.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Congrats! :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats on an awesome achievement...!!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • shred805shred805 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□