Is this the right path?

sincere11105sincere11105 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am about to take my A+ exam in a few weeks. I feel fairly confident. I was planning on taking N+ followed by Sec+. I decided that I want to get into a career in either Cloud or virtualization. My question is that if I take the Comptia Trio, is that a good setup for virtualization, or even cloud?

Comments

• Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    Comptia have good foundation exam. I think they are good for everyone. Do study for all three. Giving an exam is a different thing.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some would say that CompTIA exams are worthless. I agree.

However, for others (myself included) CompTIA opens doors, or keeps them open. Department of Defense, for example likes to see Security+. You are required to have A+ to work in Geek Squad (?). Network+ is a strong entrance into computer to computer communication.

You don't need to know how things work on the large scale. You can be someone that just runs cables all day long, and that's all you know - as an example.

I'd say it's a good start to have a definite grasp of things: Hardware, Networking, as well as Security. I knew "why" there were measures, but I never really appreciated them until after I started to study for my Security+ (Currently). Just thinking about how my CCNA ties in with servers, DMZ.. It's quite a beautiful balancing act. You can harden everything down to making any change requires the largest administrative effort, or you can just let it all hang out and accept that X may come in and completely destroy everything in an attack.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• sincere11105sincere11105 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel overwhelmed just by studying A+. I have N+ and Sec+ after. I wish I could knock them all out quickly
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dont rush the studying just so you can pass the exam. make sure you actually are understanding what you are learning. taking the test just to take the test is never a good thing.
  • dcris1981dcris1981 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what is the best site to study for your 701 and 702
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    For most of these courses I prefer CBT Nuggets.. I think they are excellent.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I feel overwhelmed just by studying A+. I have N+ and Sec+ after. I wish I could knock them all out quickly
    It is a lot of material, but once you pass one or two exams, you'll find that a lot of information builds and it becomes easier to grasp the concepts for the next exam.

As others have said, the trio lays a solid foundation and once you complete them, you'll have an idea of what you enjoy and you'll be better prepared to move into a speciality.

Good luck.

Don't focus on the certification only. Think of the certification as the by product of your learning. Take the time to understand the concepts, understand that what you are reading has it's reasons, which may be obscure at the time - but it's there. Don't be afraid to go outside the book, look for examples, look for more information, as well as different ways to explain topics. The information is out there, you just need to look. I can't help you there, though. I've been looking to build myself a CCNA:Sp Ops library from scratch. I got nothing :\
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• CamargovilleCamargoville Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Some would say that CompTIA exams are worthless. I agree.

However, for others (myself included) CompTIA opens doors, or keeps them open. Department of Defense, for example likes to see Security+. You are required to have A+ to work in Geek Squad (?). Network+ is a strong entrance into computer to computer communication.

You don't need to know how things work on the large scale. You can be someone that just runs cables all day long, and that's all you know - as an example.

I'd say it's a good start to have a definite grasp of things: Hardware, Networking, as well as Security. I knew "why" there were measures, but I never really appreciated them until after I started to study for my Security+ (Currently). Just thinking about how my CCNA ties in with servers, DMZ.. It's quite a beautiful balancing act. You can harden everything down to making any change requires the largest administrative effort, or you can just let it all hang out and accept that X may come in and completely destroy everything in an attack.

I just recently done this, literally in the last 6 months. Still looking for my career change though. It was tough to go back after college and study for them and work all night lol. But I managed, I'm hoping its going to be well worth it.
    Dual Associate of Applied Science in Computer Engineering Technology and Electronic Engineering Technology.
    Spencerian College '09

Fedora, Ubuntu User
    Windows 7
    which do you find the most interesting, from what you currently see?

there's a lot of careers that are made just by one book alone. Was there anything that perked your interest? To get into a spot that you definitely like, you'll probably have to something you don't like first.