Had A Costly "Oops" with PMI

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
So, I knew I was getting close to my year of eligibility expiring for the PMP. I was thinking that it was in June for some reason (I still think it was, as a matter of fact). Anyhow, I got an email from PMI two days ago saying that it had expired. Well, the application process stinks, and I spent ~$600 on an exam that I didn't even attempt.

I accept good deal of responsibility for this, but PMI was real heavy on reminders early in the year of eligibility... and then nothing. I would have expected them to send a reminder a month out... but nope.

Anyone know of any recourse? Can I petition them to let me schedule the exam?
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I never heard of this happening before. Most people are usually so keyed up for this exam they don't forget. I would see if you could get something out of the deal, it's worth your time.

Are you a PMI member, that might give you a little more clout.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, I am not a member of PMI.

I paid the fee early because our reimbursement policy was going to change (we used to have a lot of liberty for training materials and exam fees outside of our normal training/tuition reimbursement, now we have none). I had planned on studying for the next couple of weeks, since I have a break from school, and then take it. I was actually quite shocked when I received the email, because I had been telling myself "June" for months on end. Hopefully there is something that I can do. If not, I may not ever pursue a PMI exam... There process is stringent enough as it is. It just seems odd that I didn't get a reminder leading up to it, as I got one every month for the first three months after paying my fee.

EDIT: I just sent off an email to PMI about it. We'll see if anything comes of it.

I guess my main thing was seeing a buddy of mine have a hard time with it and I kept putting it off. Hopefully they will be a little lenient here... not sure I would want to deal with them long-term (with continuing education and member fees) if they are willing to bend a bit... let alone go through that app and pay another ~$600. At least they offer a discounted retake price.... unlike (ISC)2.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They always got back to me within 1-2 days. I cancelled my PMP and transferred the money to the CAPM. They actually reimbursed me the money left over from the exchange. I received a nice letter from the rep after the fact wishing me luck and encouraging me to take the PMP when I feel ready. I have MS Project up tomorrow after that who knows I may go back for the PMP :)

That's all I can offer in terms of how they may respond.
    So, they gave me a rather terse response indicating that I need to pay again. C'est la vie.

Anyhow, got news today of an opportunity within my company that is going to require everyone on the contract to get ITIL. Probably a much better stepping stone. I am just going to focus on finishing my MCITP EMA 2010 and ITIL... and then if I have time, I will revisit the VCP. Beyond that, more incentive to finish school sooner, rather than later, as well.
  • dmac17dmac17 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Honeslty if you pushed you probably could go beyond just accepting one email.. Maybe its just me..lol could not hurt to try.
    Yeah, that is true... I will give it another shot.

We'll see how it goes. If not, perhaps I will just call up AmEx to get a refund... they fight pretty card for their customers.
  • forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    [QUOTE=powerfool;636750I spent ~$600 on an exam that I didn't even attempt.
    [/QUOTE]

Me too. I finished the app in January and paid for a seat first week for April. Then I found out late that I had another certification exam for school the same day that I couldn't reschedule because of specific equipment and proctor requirements. I went back to Prometric to reschedule the PMP and was told it was not possible. I contacted PMI about it and got a rubber stamped canned response that said I forfeited the exam fee if I rescheduled within 2 working days.

PMI touts ethics everywhere but I can't say their recent policy changes are not financially motivated and therefore shady. I'm still absorbing the loss of that exam fee and might not reschedule for a few more months. Talk about cheap shots by PMI and a major loss of good will.
    My moderate persistence paid off... they gave me a 90 Day extension! Woot!
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice. Time to knock it out!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • winstarmanwinstarman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like you should be about done - how's it going?
    RR, CISSP, PMP, FITSP-M, Sec+, Net+, Project+
    CISSP/PMP Memoirs: http://avitria.com/
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rrieben

WGU BSBM (Sep 2012-Dec 2012) Progress: COMPLETE! Transferred: AGC1 BBC1 LIT1 LAE1 LUT1 QBT1 INC1 INT1 EST1 MGC1 QLC1 QMC1 QLT1 BVC1 EGT1 IWC1 IWT1 CLC1 MKT1 FNT1 TPV1 - Completed: EWB1 BNC1 LWC1 EGC1 MKC1 RWT1 FNC1 OBC1 QAT1 QDC1 QHT1 QGT1