Passed sec+ today - Thanks Darril

alexltk0506alexltk0506 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Woo hoo I passed with a score of 830 and all I used was Darril's Sec+ book. The test I took asked a lot of questions on compliance and operational security and access control. Probably one question about hashing, two or three on threat and vulnerability. Nothing on certificates which I was very surprised that I didn't see any questions on certificates, CA, or PKI. Every exam is different. Other versions my have everything on CA and PKI.

Thanks again Darril!

CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-301 Study Guide - Two thumbs up!!

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice! Congratulations. What's up next?
  • alexltk0506alexltk0506 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Next week I am going to a CCDA boot camp so I guess next is CCDA and after I am shooting for CCNA:Security
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So you have your ccna then?

What other certifications do you have?

Congrats by the way!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

No CCNA yet. Forgot about that one. So I guess the order is CCDA, CCNA then CCNA:Security. I was ready to sit for the CCNA but my employer is sending me to CCDA boot camp next week. Hopefully I can take the CCNA and CCDA within a month of each other. Other certs that I have are:

Comptia A+, Net+, Sec+
    Microsoft MCITP:Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7
    Microsoft cert 70-640 Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuiring
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    good luck with the CCDA. the NA isn't a prerequisite for the cert, so you should be alright. You might want to lookover into some CCNP Switch stuff before you go though as it's cisco recommended to know about some topics in it. I haven't taken the DA so I couldn't tell you.

Prerequisites

There are no prerequisite certifications for CCDA, however knowledge at the CCNA level and at the CCNP level for switching is needed to pass the CCDA exam.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccda/syllabus
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Thanks for the info
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How long did you study Darril's book before taking the exam? I ask because I am goign for an interview Tuesday for a Desktop Security position, and they wanted someone with a Security +. I am considering telling the interviewer that I will have the cert within 60 days if they hire me.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    biggene wrote: »
    How long did you study Darril's book before taking the exam? I ask because I am goign for an interview Tuesday for a Desktop Security position, and they wanted someone with a Security +. I am considering telling the interviewer that I will have the cert within 60 days if they hire me.

Depending on your time commitment 60 days should be more than enough. Darril actually recommends scheduling the test 6 weeks out from the day you start reading his book anyway. I completed my Net+ and Sec+ in 2-3 months at about 5-7 hours a week. Darril's book is good at explaining things in easy terms and is not expensive. I recommend starting it with or without the job if you are able to.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
    Im surprised actually. Keener is really spot on. Im used to obscurity, hunting down explanations and trying to find a mess of stuff.

It's fun. Rather, it's not boring. There's a heck of a lot of examples in the text - real world to imaginative. Encryption Keys. ...Yeah. That's a spot of trouble I can already see.

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass. Glad to hear the book helped.

Good luck on the CCNA, CCNA:Security, and CCDA.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    I took me about 2 1/2 months. It's tough when you are dealing with work, school, working on the house, and kids. Besides, I am one that practice what I am learning. Before I start reading for a new certification or just to gain the knowledge, I prepare my lab so I can practice what I am learning.

6 weeks is more than enough for the Sec+ cert but it will not apply for others. There are some certs that will take longer. So it depends on the type of cert and your way of studying.