Options

Recommend a guide for CISSP? (I just finished Shon Harris AIO 5th edition)

harrellharrell Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello again all. I saw this link to a book that was loaded with questions (lots of scenario-based), and wanted to know if this was the best thing (outside of a boot camp), that would get me most prepared for the exam.

here's the link: Amazon.com: CISSP Exam Prep Questions, Answers & Explanations: 1000+ CISSP Practice Questions with Detailed Solutions (9780982576847): SSI Logic: Books

Like I said, I've finished the 5th edition Shon Harris book, but I want to extend some of my learning. I wonder if this book is out dated. I plan to take the exam by the end of September.

I would greatly appreciate you all's help.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    What's the publication date on the book?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its one of the books I used. A couple of obvious wrong question and answer mismatches. Overall the questions are MUCH lighter than the real test. Other thing that did bother me about the book was the lack of any name(s) of authorship. All in all, I liked the format and found it to be on par with what I expected.

Once your doing about 85+ percent on quizzes check out the Sybex book with 2250 questions. Most are about on par with what you'll see on the test though again, a few mismatched or out right wrong question and answer mismatches. Until some of these books go through another publishing cycle its going to happen and you learn to accept that none of these books are going to be perfect by any means. Sybex guide has some extremely difficult questions on the level of what you'll see on the concentration level as well. Still good, if not humbling practice.

If your a quiz junkie (I am by fault), you'll like going through tons of questions til your ready to throw your hands up in the air and say: "I give!" The overall outcome hopefully is that you'll recognize the common pitfalls and traps laid out well ahead of time, feel more confident and most importantly, take less than the full amount of time sweating every last question. Forewarned is fore armed, so to say.

- beads
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I didn't enjoy Shon Harris' writing as much but I know it's a popular choice. Couldn't stand the Shon Harris videos either. So monotone. I ended up picking up the official CISSP CBK and that really helped. I also listened to the CBT CISSP videos and found them to be a nice refresher. Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hello @harrell - and welcome to TE.

The book that you mentioned happened to be the only other resource that I used other than the materials from a SAN class. I found that book to be quite useful and helpful and it well exceeded my expectations. But I suppose your mileage may vary depending on your previous IT and security background.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    My colleagues that have the CISSP designation (all passed first time) recommended the Eric Conrad book over the Shon Harris book. I have both and I prefer the Conrad book because it is straight to the point and does not "wander" and rant like Shon does.. I just ordered the new Sybex book Amazon.com: CISSP: Certified Information Systems Security Professional Study Guide (9781118314173): James M. Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson: Books and will give it a try. Darril Gibson of Sec+ fame is a co author and I really liked his style on several of his books.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green