Experience qualifications

Moe 0101Moe 0101 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just downloded the application for those who want to take the test for self study. On the application it asks what my experience qualifcations are. I am a Technical Support Engineer, have been with the company for 5 years now. I am worried that the work I perform will not meet their needs. I do not do any pen testing at work, I mainly help troubleshoot our clients network, pc problems and do alot of audits on software looking for bugs and do documentation on user permissions and encryption. I do hold Microsoft and Comptia certifications, do you think I should list them? I do not want to spend $1500 to take a class so I can take the exam. For anyone who has does self study before and can speak on your experience with the process please let me know. Do they really call your boss to confirm? My job is very private, and I am doing this more for myself than for the company. Anyway thanks for your time.

Comments

• pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    In most cases they dont, but I have known some companies to do cold calls and try to get more customers. Some just ask upfront to refer your frds, co-workers. If you dont want your boss to know dont list your experience.
    Regarding self study and classroom personally I like going the self study route as it saves money and time. I can study any time I want be it middle of the night or early morning after I finish my shift at work. For some certifications it may be good to have some classes like CCNP or CCIE and some where contact hours are mandatory like PMP & Vmware. It depends on your comfort level
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    They never called my boss. And they approved me in a couple days. I'm pretty sure, they just try to justify charging you a fee by making it look like there is some administrative work that goes into it. I can't guarantee that they won't contact them, but I doubt it...based on my experience.
  • Moe 0101Moe 0101 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for your response. After they approved you how long was your voucher valid for when you purchased it. Do they give you 6 months to take the exam?
    1 year actually
  • FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    They actually sent an email to my boss for verification and he just answered with "I verifies blah blah blah"
  • w77mw77m Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had almost the same questions as Moe 0101, thanks for the replies everyone. Moe what are you using to study for the test? Did you set up a lab? What resources are you using?
    w77m wrote: »
    I had almost the same questions as Moe 0101, thanks for the replies everyone. Moe what are you using to study for the test? Did you set up a lab? What resources are you using?

A lab might be fun for playing around with the tools, but its not really necessary for the test. Know the tools, know their function, and understand the basic theory behind how/why they work. That's pretty much the extent of the CEH test. Nmap is really the only tool that you need to know some of the basic command line.
  • w77mw77m Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    A lab might be fun for playing around with the tools, but its not really necessary for the test. Know the tools, know their function, and understand the basic theory behind how/why they work. That's pretty much the extent of the CEH test. Nmap is really the only tool that you need to know some of the basic command line.

Thanks Hutch. I see you have CHFI certification also. I think CEH is a prereq for that right? Did you do CHFI right after CEH? Can you provide some info on how you went about preparing and getting that cert? self study or took a course?