Unable to install software

cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there

hope one of you geniuses could help me. I tried to install a software and its giving me an error message:

The header on the pop-up says " 16 bit subsystem error"

"C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. Application is not compatible with ms-dos and windows."

"close or ignore"

not sure if this is exact but its very close...

any ideas what the problem may be?

thanx in advance
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Comments

• cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The following error message is appearing for some users when trying to open the program with Windows XP Operating System:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

The reason that this error is occurring is due to the AUTOEXEC.NT file not existing in the System 32 folder. It appears that many preventative software pieces such Pop-Up blockers, spyware, adaware programs are recognizing this file as being associated with viruses and removing the file.

To fix this error,right click on the attachment AUTOEXEC.NT located below under "Article Attachments"; then click on SAVE TARGET AS, and save it into the System32 folder. This can be completed by saving the file into C:\WINDOWS\system32 if you are running Windows XP.

Then proceed to open up the program again. You should now be able to open the program without seeing this error.

see
    link
  • cisco_troublecisco_trouble Inactive Imported Users Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the link for the attachment is http://kb.bighammer.com/article.aspx?id=10003
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    so did that work?
    witty comment
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I think you may be trying to run a legacy DOS program on an XP box -
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • OpiOpi Member Posts: 127
    can you run these programs by selecting properties
    and then compatibily mode with..choose other OS, win95 f.e.

Dunno if this is the solution though!