Routing Protocol Questions.

myk_roquemyk_roque Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
In Sybex, I saw that the EIGRP max hop is 255 (which would be the same as IGRP), where as I found an article here in TechExams that it is 224. I also found in a practice exam that the EIGRP max hop count is 224.

I also saw in one site that IGRP uses the DUAL algorithm as well. Ive tried searching the actual algorithm used by IGRP, but I have no luck in finding it, though I do know from Todd Lammle that RIP uses bellman-ford, EIGRP uses DUAL and OSPF uses Dijkstra, but gave no mention of what IGRP uses.

Please Help? I want these facts straightened out..
“Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something”

Comments

• JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
  • myk_roquemyk_roque Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ey thanks,... i finally know. Although I dont think it will appear in the CCNA exam.. It doesnt hurt to know :)
    “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something”
    icon_lol.gif as i didn't read it......what did they say was the maximum hop count :)
  • myk_roquemyk_roque Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The article you gave didnt mention the maximum hop count for IGRP although it did say that the algorithm used is a variation of the bellman-ford used by RIP :)

I do think that Sybex is accurate in stating that 255 is the max hop for IGRP with 100 as default, what I am confused about is EIGRP's max hop.
    O ok....cool.......all the best on your exam
  • forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    Here's a link to Cisco Network Academy slides stating the IGRP has a max hop count of 255 and EIGRP 224.

http://hills.ccsf.edu/~lbaca/CCNA3v3_Mod03.ppt

I don't know why they would even ask that question as neither IGRP or EIGRP use hop count as a metric.