Which way to A+??

md2bxmd2bx Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need advice. I want to get the A+ certification and I know there is a lot of resources out there. I did some research and it seems Meyers' "All in one" is the most popular self study route. I am trying to shy away from dropping a lot of bucks on a classroom course or a prep kit like the one from HEATH for $400. The courses I have found are $300 and up. I would hate to spend that kind of money and not pass the first time around. Please help icon_confused.gif:
A winner knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others. A looser wants to be considered an expert by others before he has learned enough to know how little he knows.

Comments

• PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    Start by getting the Meyers All in One book. YOu can save some bucks if you buy it at www.bookpool.com. Read through the book and take an old PC apart as you go through the book (if possible). As you read the book, if there's anything you don't understand then post it. Save yourself the money on these formal courses. You can spend that when you tackle the more advanced, vendor specific certifications icon_wink.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    when i opened my a+ books for the first time i felt so overwhelmed by what i had to learn. but as you read some you learn some.

a+, in my opinion, is not worth taking bootcamps and the like. think of it as a computer tech apprenticeship. spend as long at it as you need.

comptia have aimed the exam at techs with six months experience, so basically they kind of expect a person to have a certain degree of hands-on experience (though not necessarily the equivalent of six months of forty-hour weeks).

the all-in-one is a good book. read it though. depending on your finances either upgrade some 2nd user machines or build a new one or both. if you can get your hands on the operating systems they require you to know (win9x, winnt, win2k) all the better.

post any queries or problems with the subject matter here and we will try to help.
    A+ Moderator
  • md2bxmd2bx Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys :)
    A winner knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others. A looser wants to be considered an expert by others before he has learned enough to know how little he knows.