Anyone checked the local library?

I was wondering if any of you have went to the local library in search of certification resources?

I seriously doubt my local library has anything like that, but a lot of the University libraries in Ohio are linked together for resource sharing and I'm thinking there might be a chance of getting some good study material. I'd be thrilled to find a video series on some of the certs I'm going for. I'm definitely a visual/audible learner. I find my mind tends to wander when i'm reading.
"Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Comments

• darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i went to a library once .....

before the internet
    rm -rf /
  • paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117
    The local library here in Washington D.C. has outdated stuff, and any time anything new (hardly ever) comes in it gets "lost" even the reference material icon_eek.gif
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I think libraries are a waste of tax payer dollars, at least in the US. I have not been to a library since I was made to go in High School.
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    libraries here (uk) tend to have very basic stuff when it comes to certification resources.
    unless you are getting certified in MS Word :P
    witty comment
  • indubasuindubasu Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. The INTERNET is the best and most up to date library u will ever find!!!
  • Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    The libraries have some A+ books (updated) and mostly MS Office books.....not bad for those wanting to learn more about them.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there are a few library branches here that have books, however most are the previous version of cert tests out there.. i believe you can ask for the current version of the book and get it.. they do get the movies that are released to dvd at the same time as every reseller icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here in Chicago (a few blocks from my office) we have what has been and probably still is the worlds largest public library; The Harold Washington Library. It's a huge building with these gothic looking Gargoyles at the top. A really cool building. The multimedia stuff there is pretty decent. But you know my favorite usage for it is? Lunch time naps!!!!! It's always really quiet in that place. icon_lol.gif

For those who care or are interested, here she is.

http://www.chipublib.org/001hwlc/tour.html
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Damn brings a tear to the eye. I sat here trying to remember what used to be there. I was born and raised in Chicago, siblings and mom an dad are still there. Burroughs gave me my first computer job on Michigan ave and I wandered all over the loop with the Hawk chasing me. Still a 3 quarter million square foot book building is very impressive.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • my library has ciscopress books...from 1999.
  • RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I remember I went to our local library to see if they had some A+ books and I found 1 which was from 1998. Needless to say I just used the internet from then on.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Library? Is that kind of like Barnes and Noble or Borders or something? Oh wait, now I remember! It is just like Barnes and Noble except the books are a lot older. And you can't get an espresso there either. Oh yeah, and it usually smells kind of stale in there too. Yup, the good old library. Just make sure you avert your eyes when you walk past the perverts on the computers...
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Good old Chicago! The Harold Washington Library has several latest books on MCSE 2003. It's just the matter of getting your hand on it first before someone else. I wouldn't mind staying in there to study if it weren't for the expensive parking fee in downtown and the horrible stenches from 'god know what visitors' (not you, Keatron...hehe) everytime I visit there. icon_lol.gif
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I donate used books to my city library, but instead of accessioning them into their collection, they sell them at their book fares to raise money. I think that libraries are becoming book museums, and modern books that you can easily buy aren't considered necessary to shelve.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    My company is part of books 24x7 which allows you access to online reading of thousands of books for free (welliassume they pay for it but i dont! icon_lol.gif )
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    zenboy wrote:
    Good old Chicago! The Harold Washington Library has several latest books on MCSE 2003. It's just the matter of getting your hand on it first before someone else. I wouldn't mind staying in there to study if it weren't for the expensive parking fee in downtown and the horrible stenches from 'god know what visitors' (not you, Keatron...hehe) everytime I visit there. icon_lol.gif

Come on man. Parking fees? One word.....El.