Passed Security+ SY0-301, next stop on security path Cisco CCNA Security Cert.

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey guys. How's it going? Well I did it and it wasn't really that hard. I've been doing compsec stuff since I was 16(over 10 years ago) but of course back then a lot of the stuff I did they would consider computer trespass but as they say experience is the ultimate teacher. Fortunately I grew out of doing that type of stuff illegally no need to when companies will pay you to do it icon_cool.gif . I was considering focusing on the networking aspect for certifications and work but security was always my first interest in computers. What other security certifications would you recommend? I was looking for one or two others maybe something that focuses solely on linux and another on MS Windows and server platforms. I was also considering the CISSP. I figured most of you have more experience on this field and was hoping for some advice. Thanks for your time.

Edit: Next stop will have to be the regular CCNA exam it seems I cannot get the CCNA Security cert. without it but shouldn't be a problem as I said earlier I enjoy networking almost as much as I do security.
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on what your end goal is. It sounds like you already have a lot of knowledge of pen testing, you might take a look at the certified ethical hacker and forensic certs. Do some consultant work or even land a full time web security analyst position.

I would never tell anyone to shy away from CCNA, it provides a solid foundation for everything. But you might be able to knock these out quick, CISSP is a huge challenge as well.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on your pass! CCNA, CCNA Sec, and then CISSP seems like logical next steps IMHO
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go for CCNA next. It is a broad enough subject that it will show you have learned the key network fundementals and can relate that with your security background. There are a lot of key principles that inerrelate with the two.

I feel like I am doing it backwards. I have my CCNA and am trying to finish of Sec+ by the end of the month. CCNA has made my studies pretty easy and I feel like a lot of the content was almost common sense to me. CCNA Security would be a good place to go after CCNA if you are going the security route.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    I agree that's what I'm doing. I've already bought a lot of cisco books, software, video tutorials, etc. for the Cisco CCNA ICND1 & ICND 2.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go for CCNA next. It is a broad enough subject that it will show you have learned the key network fundementals and can relate that with your security background. There are a lot of key principles that inerrelate with the two.

I feel like I am doing it backwards. I have my CCNA and am trying to finish of Sec+ by the end of the month. CCNA has made my studies pretty easy and I feel like a lot of the content was almost common sense to me. CCNA Security would be a good place to go after CCNA if you are going the security route.

You're not kidding about feeling like you've went backwards. I'm in the same boat as you. Im trying to finish up studying, absorbing what I need to, so I can pass the exam. It's the darned cryptography, encryption protocols, ><

Understanding when Public key is used to encrypt (Certs), and when the Private Key is used to encrypt (Digital Signatures). ...Then trying to make sure I spit it out in multiple ways for the test doesn't trip me up.

Because I know. I can feel it in my bones- It will be asked in some round about way that I will spent 30 minutes trying to decrypt the language that's on the test. Blah!

I'm making it a point to use this paycheck to pay for the test, at least. I'd like to move back onto Cisco ><
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63