Starting on CCDA

Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed my CCNA back in March and now that I have enjoyed the summer off from studying, I want to move forward with CCDA. I work for a major MSO as a Metro Ethernet engineer and we have a design engineering team. Granted the designs are template based and once you create one, you revise to match the new customer, but I feel the CCDA could give me the upper hand if and when a design role comes up. It will also help me in my currently role to understand how my customer's networks are designed and what they are trying to do with our circuit. I am giving myself 6 months or less, hopefully I can pass it much sooner than later.

Can anyone share any helpful tips for the exam?

Comments

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I'd check out the Cisco Design Zone lots of good stuff over there.

I studied the older version 873 but I found Diane's book to be great. I'd start there. The DA is much theory no real configurations but you'll want to be familiar with the technologies they discuss if your not already.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Ramair2kRamair2k Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I will check it out. Looking forward to knocking this test out.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What type of technologies can we expect to see on the CCDA?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    You'll see your typcal routing protocols (ISIS, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP), IP Addresses, Security, Wireless, FHRPs, STP, Etherchannel.

Like the CCNA, the CCDA is a 3ft deep pool 50ft wide, so it doesn't cover any of technologies too indepth and doesn't cover the configuration but more-so the best practice where to use these technologies.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    About half way through the book at this point. Reading is a bit dry on certain technologies however I am at the good parts now; eg..Wan Design, IPv4/v6, Routing protocols etc... I hope to sit the exam by the end of october the latest. I can see where CCNP switching comes in to play especially when using FHRPs however I don't feel its absoutley necessary to have that prior knowldge if you can understand what each FHRP does and when to use it. Some of the material is a bit all over the place, much like others have said, its a ton of information but only some of it important to know and master. I am having fun with it.

Happy Studying...
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ramair2k wrote: »
    About half way through the book at this point. Reading is a bit dry on certain technologies however I am at the good parts now; eg..Wan Design, IPv4/v6, Routing protocols etc... I hope to sit the exam by the end of october the latest. I can see where CCNP switching comes in to play especially when using FHRPs however I don't feel its absoutley necessary to have that prior knowldge if you can understand what each FHRP does and when to use it. Some of the material is a bit all over the place, much like others have said, its a ton of information but only some of it important to know and master. I am having fun with it.

Happy Studying...

Your having fun with this one?! man i love your enthusiasm :D i cant get into this at all. I have the ARCH book sitting on my desk begging for it to be studied too! ha. i have to say, once i get this out of the way, i cant wait to start on the ARCH exam. The book is a good read for what ive covered so far and alot more interesting and relevant than the DA i believe. Hopefully i can get the DA out of the way before i run out of steam :)

good luck man! keep us posted with your progress!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    Having fun is the only way I will get through this one. As you know, its very dry, a lot of run on about random things, most that you probably won't even need to know for the exam. I too can't wait for this one to be over as my brain needs a break. The 6 months I took off from the CCNA was just not enough. With work, two little kids and a fat lazy pug, I just cant hang right now. I have 5 more chapters left to read and then its review time. Once I start my review I will schedule the exam. icon_study.gif