VMWare to Scrap vRAM Licensing Model

RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
VMware Kills vRAM Licensing, Will Focus On vSphere Cloud Bundles

Starting in 5.1, which will be debuted at VMWorld, VMWare is apparently going to announce they are dropping the new vRAM licensing model and going back to the per-CPU licensing model.

Nice.
"Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel

Comments

• AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Interesting..

It definitely would simplify their licensing model. I'm surprised to see them going away from it so quick though.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I just bought new licenses a month ago. So now I wonder if we overbought. So frustrating...
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in favor of a per-physical-CPU model. I've always thought per-core and vRAM models were horrible, and combining RAM and processors was especially bad. In fact, I'd be in favor of a per-host model or a combined per-host/per-CPU model.

Financial benefits to virtualization tend to go out the window with the higher levels of vSphere licensing under the current model. VMware should charge for instances of the hypervisor and supporting it instead of trying to earn huge margins on hardware power, IMO. The latter method may provide a larger margin, but at the cost of driving everyone to purchase cheaper versions or switch to Hyper-V.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you Microsoft, Citrix, and every company that competes in the virtualization space. Competition creates lower prices and better products. I really like working with vSphere, but I will admit that I really want to see what Hyper-V has, especially when version 3 launches with Server 2012.

Of course, I will work with whatever product the customer has, and it's probably going to be VMware for quite a while, but nothing is wrong with setting up a Hyper-V server on an unused blade is it? :)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wonder what bundling vCOps, vCloud Director, etc is going to do to the price of the upcoming per-CPU pricing, and ongoing maintenance costs...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Sometimes I feel software licensing should require it's own certification. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Love to read this. I'm loving Maritz's departure.

@SteveLord Only those of us who have experienced true, unadulterated licensing pain understand this. HA!
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MS and VMware both have sales certification programs focused on licensing, and the technical exams have lots of licensing on them, too. However, I would agree that what's there is hardly sufficient, and I've found myself deep into Google searches many times just to answer simple licensing questions.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • vNerdvNerd Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »

Every time I have to do VMware license reconciliations I feel the same way.

That said, I am really glad to see the per-socket license model return.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Microsoft doesn't even know themselves the whole license thing .. We have a "license" professional in our company once to clear up some SPLA confusion - he knew nothing, every question was answered with "I'll come back to you on that" - which he never did :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    SteveLord wrote: »

+1 on that. But then again, isn't that what the IT Directors and CIOs get paid to figure out?
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    +1 on that. But then again, isn't that what the IT Directors and CIOs get paid to figure out?

lol nope. They get paid to tell someone underneath them to figure it out. And then show on a graph how much money they saved the company by reducing licensing costs ;)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMHO, anything that goes beyond a per CPU, per seat, or per server licenses is just bogus. Buyer beware.