Options

Powerfool's PMP Journey

2»

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Best Books for PMP Certification Exam PreparationPM Study Circle – Helping you for your PMP Exam preparation.

Of course both Rita and Andy are mentioned as well...but that wasn't what got me buying that book....it was a particular review on Amazon (I tend to read those as well.....) Not to mention that I used Heldman to pass Project+ (in spite of her being quite dry, BUT I got through it thanks to Amazon's TTS on Kindle...)

Understand something...while Project+ is considered a joke compared to PMP, much of those formulas/processes are covered in Project+. (Though I'd have had a better deal if I took PMP in the Third Edition, but timing was not on my side...) That's why I'm going through everything now...

Also, I have to deal with the PMBOK (whether I like it or not) because it is a requirement for my upcoming Project Management course...there are also two books that the PMP professor wants us to use that are recommended for the course but not required (both of which are quite droll and dull...so much so I won't even mention them.) One of them is on Books 24x7 (yay) the other I needed eCampus for to rent.

All I will promise you is that I will not take this exam until I feel I'm ready....I passed Project+ on my first try and I'm fixin' to do the same with PMP. I promise you, I will not take this exam tomorrow or next week.

Kim Heldman
    This is my second preferred book. The most important factor for liking this book is that, it explains the concepts as project sequence instead of explaining knowledge area wise. I liked this very much because this project sequence based explanation of process is more logical and it helps better to understand the Project Management Processes.
    This is really a good book; I would recommend you to go for it.

• Options
    QuantumstateQuantumstate Member Posts: 192 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well absolutely no offense intended PF, and apologies if you thought that.

I'm surprised that my tone of disappointment didn't come through in my post.
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    any update?
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its official, I got not love from PMI. I received proficient in Initiating and Closing... and below proficient in the rest. I am going to see if they can give me another extension, since I couldn't schedule a retake without my score. If they grant me three months, I will come up with a new study technique that works for my schedule. I have three weeks (including this mostly spent week) off of school and then it is my last semester. And that is beyond my demanding work activities... and I have been [lap] swimming for the past three weeks with no intent on stopping. We'll see. If that doesn't work, I will pick it up at the 1st of the year and use Skillsoft for my contact hours, this time.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For what it's worth, I'd like to read up on your new study schedule.

I am sorry you failed...this exam really isn't a joke. I am sure you'll pass it a second time though.

I am considering contacting the PMINYC chapter to inquire if there are any active study groups. Assuming I survive whatever audit, I see October-December as a doable schedule. Plus remembering all of those formulas [unlike Project+, I don't think n(n-1)/2 is going to cut it...lmao.] My goal is to take this exam once and be done with it.
  • Options
    josetijamjosetijam Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I purchased two mp3 review program/courses when I was preparing for my PMP certification (I can't recall the names now). I would listen to them everyday: during my commute to and from work, when I walked my dogs or whenever I had some down time. I found them to be very helpful.

I read the PMBOK three times and used Rita Mulcahy's prep book.