Linux+

curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is a very quiet forum isn't it, and I don't see anyone with Linux+ in their certifications. Has anyone ever taken it??

Comments

• bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i have one box with linux installed, but i haven't touched it since.

linux+ is said to be a+ with the microsoft-related content replaced with generic linux content. i imagine that if you are looking for a linux cert to get you a job, you'd be better looking at redhat certification.
    A+ Moderator
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Yeah, I would agree with Bellboy. Something like Red Hat's RHCE would look much better on a resume than Linux+, as most people know how general CompTIA exams are.

Cheeblie
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey curio

I was expecting to have Linux+ by now, but unfortunately with a few family dramas it will probably be the end of the year before I get around to it.
    Talking to a friend who passed it last week it has a bit of A+, a bit of Net+ and quite a few Linux questions. Then again I guess it depends on which questions you draw out of the pool.

We started this forum hoping to get a little discussion going and to have a place for those studying Linux+ to ask any questions they may have. Myself I have RedHat 7.1 & 8.0 on removeable bays and also have disks for Mandrake 9.0, Turbolinux 6.1, Suse 7.2 and Debian 3.0. I guess one day I will get around to placing them on spare drives and having a play - probably depends on what I end up with when I finally find a job ... lol
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    i probably would have been better buying one of those redhat books that comes with the install disks. instead i installed a covermount of mandrake 9.1 and i got kind of lost. LOL.

i'd rather get one or two microsoft exams under my belt before i think about linux too much.
    A+ Moderator
    I hear ya ... lol

Thats kind of why I put Linux+ aside. Will do finish 218 for my MCSA and then do the linux+ thing.

With a few positions I apllied for the last couple of days i-Net+ and/or CIW may be my next certs if I get any of these positions.
    www.supercross.com
    like i said in another thread recently, as far as design work goes (and i include web design here), experience or a decent portfolio may be more impressive than certs.

i have been toying with the idea of doing web design for a few years. my designs have never been the most complicated, but i think i will have to create some sites of my own or offer to do some for free just to build up a portfolio or client-base before i can advertise properly.
    A+ Moderator
  • curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have done the RHCE material and I am very Linuxxed up, I would expect to pass with little effort to be honest. I even have a Windows NT 4 virtual network running inside VMWare in an old Mandrake 7.1 system which I used to learn NT Server for work a few years back. I just want something in paper that says I do know what I know I know - if you get me. RHCE was a million dollars plus donation of a major organ just to sit it if I remember correctly - kinda off-putting. If you fancy messing around with a bit of Linux for fun(?) I would suggest you go for SuSE Linux 8.2, it is easier than Windows, you can put Office 97 on it using WINE and there is a cool Tron game in it. I can even use vim without looking in a book!!

wq!!
    I also set up two Delphi software developers office networks with dual-boot Windows NT and Linux/Samba systems when Kylix first came out so they could use it. Trust relationships, the lot with RedHat 7.2 I think at the time, they now also use Suse 8.2. SuSE now includes LinNeighbourhood which allows you to use a GUI network browser just like Network Neighbourhood in Windows systems. If you get the Pro version you also get Ethereal Network Protocol Analyzer and other cool tools.

init 0
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Yeah I heard about RH and the costs - shoot people thought MS exams were costly ... they only cost you your first borns soul to the lords at Redmond ... lol
    LinNeighborhood is great. After a couple hours playing around with all my different systems I had all playing nicely with each other. Certainly saved me the trouble of mounting the Linux drive as slave in my sever machine and using E2Fs when I wanted to try to find files that I had just put anywhere on the Linux drive ... lol
    www.supercross.com
    If you try to install Office with WINE you will need the original ole32.dll from a real Windows, otherwise you won't be able to save anything. I got the Linux+ study guide from Sybex but I think I will do 70-218 and 70-215 first to get the MCSA. I am halfway through the MS 70-218 study guide now and haven't seen anything real scary yet - well except Active Directory but that is always scary whenever you see it.
  • diesidemeltingdiesidemelting Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi i am a linux+ certified i agree with you, i've done this certication in the objective to have more opportunities in work but it's not case as i live in a country where linux is a bit taboo,so all you're talking about is right but it may help in the working field as personal deal and for those who want to get this certificaton you better go for it!!! icon_wink.gif
    Always great
    i think it does no harm for somebody who has some input in design and setup of networks in a business to suggest the benefits of *nix-based servers if the business thinks that the cost of labour/admin to set the machines up is much cheaper than the purchase of the microsoft alternative.
    A+ Moderator