Cool hacking game..

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey guys. How's it going? I was going through some old boxes of software and I found this game I used to play. It's an older game but the graphics are still pretty good. It's called Uplink. It's a game based on hacking. Granted it's not like real world hacking but even so I found it to be entertaining. I've been playing it for the last couple hours. Here is the description of the game:

You play an Uplink Agent who makes a living by performing jobs for major corporations. Your tasks involve hacking into rival computer systems, stealing research data, sabotaging other companies, laundering money, erasing evidence, or framing innocent people.

You use the money you earn to upgrade your computer systems, and to buy new software and tools. As your experience level increases you find more dangerous and profitable missions become available. You can speculate on a fully working stock market (and even influence its outcome). You can modify peoples academic or criminal records. You can divert money from bank transfers into your own accounts. You can even take part in the construction of the most deadly computer virus ever designed.

I know a lot of it isn't entirely realisitic but a lot of games aren't either. If you get bored and want to kill some time check it out. You can download the demo here:

Uplink

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]You play an Uplink Agent who makes a living by performing jobs for major corporations. Your tasks involve hacking into rival computer systems, stealing research data, sabotaging other companies, laundering money, erasing evidence, or framing innocent people.

You use the money you earn to upgrade your computer systems, and to buy new software and tools. As your experience level increases you find more dangerous and profitable missions become available. You can speculate on a fully working stock market (and even influence its outcome). You can modify peoples academic or criminal records. You can divert money from bank transfers into your own accounts. You can even take part in the construction of the most deadly computer virus ever designed.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now there's a blast from the past. What's next? Syndicate? ;)
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We used to play this game. Its been around for a long time and still has a following- Core War

The object was to write a program (basically a simulated virus) in a simulated computer core (RAM for you young ones) and battle other programs.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I remember that game. I have it on steam if I am not mistaken. I tried to play it a few times, but I really could not get into the game.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ohhh I remember that game. I played a few similar to it. I really liked the music too.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »
    We used to play this game. Its been around for a long time and still has a following- Core War

Am I on the only one who thinks this looks extremely enjoyable?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    The object was to write a program (basically a simulated virus) in a simulated computer core (RAM for you young ones) and battle other programs.

Reminds me of Tron...
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    uplink was made be Introversion Software, I remember it first released and playing it for months.

who also did darwinia which is a bit like cannon fodder game paly but so much cooler set inside a computer simulation of virtual life.

and Defcon, which is based around the film Wargames (staring Mathew broderick)

Really cool little indie Game developer who I think deserve a lot more credit than the get. But if you like UPLINK do check out the other games they are all on Steam.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Which games are you referring to that are similar?
    Ohhh I remember that game. I played a few similar to it. I really liked the music too.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haha; I remember playing Uplink. I think there was even an add-on where things got more complicated because you had to hack an edge device then get into the target's local network to do (whatever).
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Really? Would you happen to remember the name of that add-on? Introversion makes some cool games. I'm downloading the demos of darwinia and defcon to see if they are any good or worth buying.
    bermovick wrote: »
    Haha; I remember playing Uplink. I think there was even an add-on where things got more complicated because you had to hack an edge device then get into the target's local network to do (whatever).
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No; I've googled a bit, but can't find anything definitive - I'm not sure if it's a popular mod, or perhaps a more recent build of the game or re-write or something.

Here's a video showing a sample lan hack. It gets ... complicated.

Uplink - Simple LAN HACK Tutorial - YouTube
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There where a few fan based mods, and also some of these where incorprated in to an update I think..

Talking about this, I am going to pull out the old CD and install this tonight :) was a good way to lose a few hours :)

What was nice about uplink was you could do it almost all from a nice point and click GUI, or for some of it get in to a little bit of CLI.

I also played another hacking game that was almost purely CLI, but I can't remember the name of it, I didnt like it as much as it was a steap learnig curve and if you wanted to get that real you might as well go do the real thing.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • nics11cnics11c Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I want this game at any cost its so great to play the game