Options

Practice labs for GNS3

synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
Hey. I'm looking for a book I can get, software that may suggest you use gns3 for their labs, or a website that has GNS3 labs to help with Cisco ICND1 & ICND2. I'm going to use this until I get my routers and switches. I found one called freecnnaworkbook but the two IOS images it calls for I don't have. The ones the site asks for to do the labs are:

c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin
c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-13a.bin

The closest I have to those are:

c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-13a.bin
c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-12.bin

I also have 2600 series images and others but the site asks for those. I was hoping you guys would know where I could find other GNS3 labs. Thanks.

Edit: Put the wrong IOS name in the ones I listed. Sorry about that. I don't have the exact ones the site asks for but they seem close.
Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.

Comments

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    @?

As for GNS3 labs, you could take a look at GNS3vault.com
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    synseq wrote: »
    I'm looking for a book I can get, software that may suggest you use gns3 for their labs, or a website that has GNS3 labs to help with Cisco ICND1 & ICND2...
    Any lab manual or scenario intended for IOS routers should work fine in GNS3. There's no need to limit yourself to "GNS3" labs, although GNS3 Vault is quite popular.
  • Options
    Sorry it was a typo. I'm creating an account on GNS3vault. Does it tell you which IOS images and stuff you will need for each lab?
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • Options
    Sorry it was a typo. I'm creating an account on GNS3vault. Does it tell you which IOS images and stuff you will need for each lab?

They are telling you what IOS they used, not what IOS you need. Any 12.4T IOS on a mid- to high-end router is good for certification studies and will support most lab commands.
  • Options
    You need those particular IOS images to load their topology config file but it's ok I'll use the ones I have and just build the topology they have using their diagram.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I put together a bunch of lab info for CCENT & CCNA, check out my Blog, in my Sig below.

hth
  • Options
    You need those particular IOS images to load their topology config file
    You won't get good results loading other people's topology configuration files, besides it being unnecessarily limiting. It takes 2-3 minutes to build a matching one and load their IOS configs. Compare this to the time it takes to build a topology and setup the IOS configs physically, and you have a huge win over those doing this with end-of-life hardware.

As long as you use a 12.4T image on a mid- to high-end device you'll be fine.
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You need those particular IOS images to load their topology config file but it's ok I'll use the ones I have and just build the topology they have using their diagram.
    You can edit the downloaded GNS3 .net file so that it will work with your IOS image, but in my experience editing the .net file is usually more frustrating and time consuming than just rebuilding the topology from scratch.

It can also be interesting to see differences between IOS images, I purposely didn't update one of my switch's images while I updated 3 other switches to a newer image. I recently had to update it because of some issues with the older image...but it was a cool thing to learn along the way :)
  • Options
    Yeah. It was a more rewarding experience to build the toplogy myself. The only problem I have with all these IOS images is I don't know what half of them are or even what version they are until I load them.