Options

Need help ASAP

milk909milk909 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay, I'm currently a student who has no classes which just leaves me as an unemployed individual.

I'm really looking to getting into the IT field and what not. I have a intermediate level of knowledge on computers and networking (Completed the CCNA course in high school).

Right now, I'm actually trying to land a job in the field (because of family struggles), but what I'm most scared of is the necessary steps to take.

I was thinking of getting certified in CompTIA A+, but I do not have the usual "work experience" because I learned this on my own and I'm 90% sure I can pass the exam.

So to get that experience should I:
1. Intern for a year at a school, and then take the exam?
2. Take the exam now and get it out the way, and then intern?
3. Any other suggestions?

I really need to move quickly and bring in some money.

Comments

• Options
    killuminati1987killuminati1987 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take the exam while looking for a job and/or while working wherever. The experience requirement is a load of B.S. with CompTIA exams. People can and often do take the exams with NO real world experience.

I have an A+, and hopefully a N+ tomorrow, and I have never had a job in IT. They're really not that hard; it's more about the amount of work you're willing to put in to memorize topics.
  • Options
    KMYostKMYost Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can go to the Comtia site and go to the A+ section where they have 100 question free trial tests. If you can pass those, then you can pass the A+. I didn't find the A+ difficult at all, but you've got to know your firewall ports and OSI levels. At least the main ports anyway. Some knowledge of basic protocols is required as well. Besides that its just hardware questions.
  • Options
    KMYostKMYost Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh, and there are free training videos on youtube. You can lookup ports and OSI info on Google.
  • Options
    Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    If you think you can pass A+; I think you should attempt it. It will certainly help you in finding a job. Also, watch some videos for CCNA (on youtube) to brush up your skills and write about your CCNA training in your CV. Sure this will be a plus.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Freestuff212Freestuff212 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question, you said you passed your CCNA in high school. I assume that was over 3 years ago and is expired. Under that assumption would it be possible to talk to a professor at your college? Also look for volunteer work in your area again if possible to get some experience?

You say your need money quickly so my options my not work for you but it will help in the long run.

I agree with what KMYost suggested, go to the comptia site and see if you can pass the A+. Brush up on your CCNA, and apply.

Good luck
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take the exam, if you pass it, it will be a good selling point for you. If you don't pass, study the areas you were weak on and then try again.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.