Options

Which is easier to get S+ or N+

DoodaDooda Banned Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering which cert is easier to get...S+ or N+

I just passed my S+ but not with a good score icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Score doesn't matter at all. If you passed, you passed.

I would say Net+ is easier than Security+, but I would condition that by saying the Net+ is actually more technical. Anyway, Net+ is overall pretty easy, and having passed Security+ it should be very easy for you. Just do it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe it is a subjective question?
    In retrospect I found Net+ harder than Sec+ but I scored higher on the Net+ exam. The Sec+ exam has a lot of funny questions that are sometimes a bit misleading imo.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Net + for sure!
    Darril Gibson has good practice test questions for N+ and good prep for S+ FYI
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "The Sec+ exam has a lot of funny questions that are sometimes a bit misleading imo." YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. i have both and found that Sec + to be a tad shady in it's questioning, because its not based on how much you know but rather than how you answer the question. my theory is that if you pass Net +, Sec + should be easier than you think and visa versa.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mrvl13 wrote: »
    "The Sec+ exam has a lot of funny questions that are sometimes a bit misleading imo." YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. i have both and found that Sec + to be a tad shady in it's questioning, because its not based on how much you know but rather than how you answer the question. my theory is that if you pass Net +, Sec + should be easier than you think and visa versa.

It's a shade of grey as Captain Sisko would say! :D
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    50 Shades of Grey as a lot of ladies would say!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thank you all...will let you know once I take the Net+ exam.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your test! I'm not a good person to answer this because I took both back in '07 but back then Net+ was definitely the easier exam since Sec+ didn't have very good study resources. I have heard from those I've mentored that they found Net+ easier because the information is straightforward vs. Sec+ which has some "tricky" spots. FWIW. :)
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Oddly enough I have to say the exact opposite of Spicy said.

My Net+ had way more 'iffy' question that S+ did.
    And I personally felt the objectives they want you to know are far more broad with N+ than with S+

That being said I felt the N+ was FAR FAR harder.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    Need a JobNeed a Job Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oddly enough I have to say the exact opposite of Spicy said.

My Net+ had way more 'iffy' question that S+ did.
    And I personally felt the objectives they want you to know are far more broad with N+ than with S+

That being said I felt the N+ was FAR FAR harder.

I agree with him.
  • Options
    XenoSonicXenoSonic Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you pass the N+ then the S+ will be easier, therefore "N+ > S+". it took me 1 1/2 month of straight studying for the N+, while the S+ was only 3 weeks.
  • Options
    tbhoustontbhouston Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To me the security was "easier" but it was far more interesting to me than networking was/is

I took both courses through cbt nuggets and I found myself doing more youtube searches on topics in the security class than the network course just for added info because of cool concepts/topics.

Both are very basic and cover a wide range of topics and test your ability to take tests as much as the content (imo)
  • Options
    EqmmickeyEqmmickey Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I personally think the Security + was a lil harder then the Network +... it had more complex questions on it. IMO
  • Options
    FreshWerk.FreshWerk. Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wish i would of found this forum a lot sooner - i bought some material and seen its very sourced here with the help of you awesome gurus to top it off... excellent.

I'll be taking my net + exam soon - right now im currently studying it...
    Tae W.
    MRAP Mechanic/Graphic Designer
    Afghanistan
    Certifications Studying For:
    A+ [ x ] | Network + [ ] | Security + [ ]
  • Options
    Auslander1Auslander1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed my Security+ exam before diving into Network+. In Darril's book it recommends doing the N+ first. Also an Intro to Security Concepts class I took, had a networking prequisite that I was able to bypass with a prior course I took at a University.

That said, in hindsight, I wished I had done the N+ first. Most of my classmates had the N+ as well. I know all the Certification exams use a battery of questions so there are going to be a range of experiences from the readers here. I know my S+ exam was Network heavy. There was a ton of device trouble shooting questions and network specific best practices. The first half of the N+ book I am using is very technical whereas the second half is richer explanation of the devices and security protocols covered in S+. I think if you thoroughly understand the technicalities of networks and routing then the other stuff should be easier to learn on the account of S+.
  • Options
    FreshWerk.FreshWerk. Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was wondering, the 15min study guide they have from LearnSmartSystems - does that tackle the important key points that will be on the test? Could i study that and be okay - or would i have to actually read a whole study guide or skim through it?
    Tae W.
    MRAP Mechanic/Graphic Designer
    Afghanistan
    Certifications Studying For:
    A+ [ x ] | Network + [ ] | Security + [ ]
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @FreshWerk The 15minute guide only touches on the stuff that will be tested on, I'd read the whole thing. The 15 minute thingy more than likely will not be enough (unless they significantly changed it in the last 2 months). I actually paid the trial LearnSmart when studying for N+ and Sec+ and those guides they have, are not sufficient.

That being said it's always a good idea to use multiple mediums to study from.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A little birdie told me that they are in the process of updating their Net+. I'm waiting for that time so that I can hurry and pass my Net+ and start working on my Sec+.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MrPuzzlez wrote: »
    I'm waiting for that time so that I can hurry and pass my Net+ and start working on my Sec+.
    Why? Just study and take it now. Net+ is centered around a suite of protocols and a framework that have been around longer than most people taking the test have been alive. The material will not change very much. It doesn't make any sense to me to wait for a version change, especially since Comptia generally leaves the last-gen version available for a while.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    j1nj1n Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Net+ was easier for me. i just passed the sec+ the other day.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    network+ was difficult took it twice. I dont believe security+ will be that difficult just looking over the practice questions.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will say that you may have a hard time jumping into Security+ without a Network+ or a networking background as it's assumed that you have that knowledge for the Security+exam. I'm currently studying for the Security+ and can say that my Network+ knowledge is serving me very well in my studies.
  • Options
    eagles36faneagles36fan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think Network+ is the easier exam. I think the average IT guy would know far more about the material you will be tested on for the Network+ exam as opposed to Security+
  • Options
    MrPuzzlez wrote: »
    A little birdie told me that they are in the process of updating their Net+. I'm waiting for that time so that I can hurry and pass my Net+ and start working on my Sec+.

Does anyone know when Net+ getting updated??? I am behind and I want to make take the exam within the next two weeks. Help Please icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    ScyatticaScyattica Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They just decommissioned an old test, the N10-004. That exams last day was on August 31, 2012. I don't see them getting rid of the new N+ test(N10-005) so quickly. I might be wrong though.

Source: CompTIA Network+ Certification
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I can't speak to what the "little birdie" is saying but here's what I know.

The N10-004 was recently retired on August 31, 2012. The N10-005 is the current exam and it's been out since December 2011. CompTIA will be adding performance based questions to Network+ sometime in the fourth quarter of 2012 (October, November, or December). This blog talks more about it.

Blog > CompTIA Exams to Include 'Performance-Based' Questions
  • Options
    JfazJfaz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    I can't speak to what the "little birdie" is saying but here's what I know.

The N10-004 was recently retired on August 31, 2012. The N10-005 is the current exam and it's been out since December 2011. CompTIA will be adding performance based questions to Network+ sometime in the fourth quarter of 2012 (October, November, or December). This blog talks more about it.

Blog > CompTIA Exams to Include 'Performance-Based' Questions

Darrill, do you have any tips for those of use who already own the N10-005 study material, but have yet to take the test, to prepare for these added "performance" based questions?