What's the value of 70-680 on a network resume?

Hey guys, I just found out today that I have a little more flexibility in my degree program than I thought. I originally signed up for a Windows 7 class based around the 70-680 material. I found out today that I can take a Visio class instead of that one and it would count toward my degree. I will be taking a Server 2008 class the same term which will be my primary certification focus. I don't know how much I will realistically get into the 70-680 material beyond just homework since getting the server admin test knocked out is an actual goal of mine. My main concern is is having the 70-680 under my belt going to do a lot to beef up my desirability for a networking position, or will it not matter much assuming I can get my MCSA along with my CCNA? As a side note, I am pursuing a bachelor's degree in project management, so the in depth Visio knowledge should help in that regard. Thanks.

Comments

• eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, the 70-680 gets into deployment of windows 7 and setting up a WDS which a systems admin should know. If you are getting into networking hardware only then it would be of little value.
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    The two benefits I can see:

1) Appeasing people who don't understand IT and just want to see a big name cert. This is common in HR departments when applying for tech jobs in non tech companies.

2) If you want to be a DoD contractor many contracts require all IT people to have an OS cert and a Security cert.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to pursue a career in Networking, you'd be best to study Network+ & then go from there. The benefit I could see from taking the 680 is that often many guys with hopes of a network gig start in a desktop position. Once you get in the door with the right firm, they'll see your strengths and go from there.

While there is nothing wrong with having an MCSA, if you are wanting a network gig, chase your networking certs first. My opinion is that it's more important for a Server guy to have some CISCO than it is a CISCO guy know some Server stuff. Once you're in the world of CISCO you rarely execute a server command unless you're managing very small firms.

As for learning Visio, get the CBT Nuggets for Visio & watch them. They're pretty good, if a bit dry. I don't think it's worthwhile to waste your time trying for a Visio Certification either.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for the input guys. What MiikeB said is golden for me. Since I am a veteran and former GS worker for the DoD, I have my eye on them mostly for jobs.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have little to no experience, any Microsoft certification is a great resume builder. Like another posted mentioned, even if you plan to do networking later down the road obtaining a couple Microsoft certs to land a job is not a bad idea.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    What Snoker said

Also, you need to see what kind of networking job you will be doing.
    For example I see all the time Network Administrator jobs that even though focus more in Networking, it does come up with some windows subjects in it too
    meh