Network Security Engineer cert questions.

I know I want to eventually become a network security engineer but had some questions about cert paths. I know I am a ways away from some of these certs, but I was wanting to make a personal road map for myself. By the end of the year I will have Security + and my CCNA:S, but I was wondering what to pursue next. Should I get ccnp:s after my ccna:s, or should I get ccnp then ccnp:s. Also what other certs would be beneficial to have?

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Do you have a job as a network security engineer yet?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    No currently a security analyst.
    I would advise against getting the next level of certifications until you are actually in a position to be using that knowledge. "Security analyst" is a vague term. Are you currently configuring/troubleshooting the security on routers, switches, firewalls, and identity management devices?
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Some projects i am troubleshooting security on routers, switches, servers, and IPS devices. To get to the next level, I need to get certs higher than ccna.
    Will your company not give you the work without the certifications? If not, then they should be able to provide you with a list of what certifications they want you to have
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    They are giving me the work but I am wanting to move up the company. Within the year they are expanding some roles and having good growth within the IT security department. I'm wanting to expand my knowledge, get certifications and take on new task at work.
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    perhaps CEH ? Security+ knowledge would compliment the CEH
    or CISA since u work as a security analyst
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    chaser7783 wrote: »
    Some projects i am troubleshooting security on routers, switches, servers, and IPS devices.
    In your position I'd pursue CCNP:S next
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The vendor-specific stuff like CCNP: Security is fine, but also spread your knowledge base a bit. The WCNA isn't a highly-recognized piece of paper, but the ability to analyze network traffic is absolutely essential. You should also consider the GCIA or GCFW. Back to the vendor-based tracks, I presume the Juniper security certs might be a good option to look at as well. Sourcefire also has a Snort-specific class which might be beneficial if you're not familiar with IDS and the shop you work for can't afford the more expensive commercial solutions.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    I had some talks with the Sr Network engineers here at work and they told me to go ccna:s then to ccnp:s skipping ccnp. One said they went the ccnp to ccnp:s route, but looking back they would of just gone ccnp:s. They also encourage of coarse to go for cissp, as well as GCFW/GSEC/GCIA sans certs.

I was looking at doing the WCNA cert because I use wireshark and TCPdump at work, and it would help fill any gaps I have. I need to look into the snort cert, I have been using snort in my pfsense box for some time and knowing more about it will never hurt.

Thank for the input, it has given me some items to think about and plan out my path.
  • jimmyhelujimmyhelu Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i had a virus like that. Go to C:\Program files. See if theres anything in there named Thunmail? =P That Virus is a *****. haha it Spreads thru network, AND it Will jump onto any Flashdrives / External Drives that you plug into the computer. its a Fairly common virus that 90% of the anti Virus software out there won't Detect. the 2 that will are i believe McAfee and Kaspersky. i use Kaspersky and it works great =)
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jimmyhelu wrote: »
    i had a virus like that. Go to C:\Program files. See if theres anything in there named Thunmail? =P That Virus is a *****. haha it Spreads thru network, AND it Will jump onto any Flashdrives / External Drives that you plug into the computer. its a Fairly common virus that 90% of the anti Virus software out there won't Detect. the 2 that will are i believe McAfee and Kaspersky. i use Kaspersky and it works great =)

Huh? Did I miss something?
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keener wrote: »
    Huh? Did I miss something?

I was just thinking the same thing..........icon_scratch.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL - jimmyhelu managed to stump all the security experts here. icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like he was trying to reply to two different threads and got them mixed up:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/80913-fake-microsoft-calls-again.html#post670428
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/