DoD 8570 Technical Level 2 Certs

AskjoeAskjoe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question about obtaining certs for the computing environment portion of the requirements(DoD 8570) for the job I am currently applying for. I am reading over the requirements for Technical Level 2 and it lists two certs CCENT and CCNA .....does this mean I need both or just one of the two? The wording the use is somewhat confusing about this because they refer to it as "you need a computing environment certification" implying that only one is required.

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They usually mean you can have either. I think because the CCNA was usually a single test some get that rather than take the two tests the DOD requirement allows both of them. On the other hand it can also mean the job requirement might specifically ask for the CCNA level cert so it is there as well. The employer requirement has more flexibility and want a specific cert in the group and the DOD requirement is "any of these"
  • AskjoeAskjoe Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your quick reply. I am being told that I just need to fulfill my CE requirement. They are not asking for any specific cert. If I have my Security+, Network+, and CCENT which is one of the two listed I should be qualified provide they don't require anything specific?
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got my Security+ a while back to fulfill the DOD requirement but my employer also told me to get that also. (they provided the books). If it is just for fulfilling a general requirement pick the one you have the most interest in. I would skip the Network+ all together though.
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Depending on the IA dept, the Computing Environment certification is "suppose" to be your field of expertise, or what you will be working on for that specific position. So it's typically whatever IAT level the position requires, plus CE.... For me, it was IAT II so Sec+ qualified for that. For my CE, when I was doing desktop support the IA director wanted us to be Microsoft Certified in either Vista (70-620) or 7 (70-680). For our SharePoint guys, they had to get SharePoint certs (in addition to the IATII Sec+).

So, CE from my understanding should be position/role based. I had A+/N+/Sec+ and it wasn't sufficient to fulfill the CE requirement.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It all depends on who is hiring. In DoD jobs, it's more about who you know or your experience and certifications. When I was in VA, we had level 2 network engineering contracors with Sec+ and possibly Net+ as the requirement for hiring. Their organization got them ITIL as part of the contract. Some of them had CCNA, some didn't.

On the Windows side, I don't think there were any MCSAs. The organization I work now has a requirement for A+.
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    My 2 cents.

Disclaimer. I am in an Army Commmand. Also it is DOD so people put their own spin on everything. What works where I am at may not work where you are.

You should have 6 months after hire to earn your CE. If you are a GS (Just Apply)or Approved contractor (Apply for waiver not sure how that goes) you can have access to skillport training. If you complete skillport training it will count as your CE. Just upload your grade sheet into ATCS (Army Training & Certification System). Your IAM will approve it. That is the way we do it where I work.

A+ still counts as a CE but that time is running out.

Check out the links below. They are pretty useful.

https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_iam_flow.htm
    https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_iat_flow.htm
    https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_cnd_flow.htm

https://usarmy.skillport.com/skillportfe/custom/login/usarmy/login.action

Hope this helps!
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Wow that's very interesting your command will authorize training certificates from SkillSoft. I'm going to bring this up to see if our organization can get on board with that.

Just curious, what command are you under?
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Lets take this to PM.
    Forgot to mention in the 8570.01-M published 1/24/13 rev 3, Page 91, Table AP3.T1 is where it changes CE certification to CE certificate and is most easily explained in that section. Although it is mentioned several times throughout the text. I mention that because you probably need more than a post in the forum to convice your manager this has changed.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf
  • kimonkkimonk Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate your tip. Actually I had read this new policy, the 8570.01-M. My acting IAM is the guy who didn't read this paragraph and he just denied that after listening the contractor deputy, who didn't read that well either. I think I will take the training in SkillPort and get the Certificate. Then, I will talk to the new IAM.

Microsoft 70-680 test is so ridiculously tricky in every question, not like CompTIA which is clear and practically designed. Beside, I think IAM folks or higher management should be acknowledged that not many ST admins who do local supports like ST admins who directly work for government Network Enterprise Command. Local ST admins don't perform many Windows functions like creating Windows Image for deployment, setting up user accounts, or configuring network security, etc. So, many areas in Windows 7 Computing Environment training are the waste of your time and government money. SkillPort training certificate is good enough.
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    kimonk wrote: »
    I appreciate your tip. Actually I had read this new policy, the 8570.01-M. My acting IAM is the guy who didn't read this paragraph and he just denied that after listening the contractor deputy, who didn't read that well either. I think I will take the training in SkillPort and get the Certificate. Then, I will talk to the new IAM.

Microsoft 70-680 test is so ridiculously tricky in every question, not like CompTIA which is clear and practically designed. Beside, I think IAM folks or higher management should be acknowledged that not many ST admins who do local supports like ST admins who directly work for government Network Enterprise Command. Local ST admins don't perform many Windows functions like creating Windows Image for deployment, setting up user accounts, or configuring network security, etc. So, many areas in Windows 7 Computing Environment training are the waste of your time and government money. SkillPort training certificate is good enough.

This is a four year old thread bro.