Fake Microsoft calls again

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I posted up about these assclowns that keep calling me, saying they are from MS and that my computer has a deadly virus on it.

They are starting to call every single day now and it's really annoying.

Pardon my French, but I believe it's because I told the one guy to eff off and really yelled at him not to call.

What the hell can be done with this to stop it? These damn protection laws are supporting this type of behavior and it's really **** me off.

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    let then "help" you with an vm and log the ip and then threaten to call the cops for wire fraud ... they stopped calling me needless to say
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    how did they get your number?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Few users at work have told me about getting similar calls at home. Some of them also claimed to be from "AOL security" and said they needed to look at their computer or their account would be suspended.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Ugh, I hate calls like that. What are they trying to sell you? It reminds me of those malware programs that look like some cheap anti-virus program and messes your computer up and in order to remove it you have a buy a license for the fake anti-virus program to remove it. Of course they do it because it works. I've had to fix dozens of peoples computers and a lot of them said "I paid for this anti-virus program and I still can't get rid of it". It would prevent you from opening task manager, erases all your shortcuts in the start menu, won't let you run web browsers, etc. It's pretty easy to fix if you know what you are doing but needless to say not everyone does. It's not their fault its the people who design these annoying programs to take advantage of people and steal their money.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Play stupid, very stupid. That always works for me (similar type of BS call). They give up quickly. Either that or speak another language.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This happened to my parents. I got the phone number, and called them- and proceeded to question them. Then I filed an FBI report with their cybercrime division.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Its sad, wonder why nothing is being done to shut them down. I saw similar reports a year back in a Australian news agency reporting the same scandal.
    Gives a bad name to tech support
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    "Deadly virus" Your computer is going to shut down then when you lean down to take a look at what might have happened the CD drive is going to pop out so fast it will hit you in the head and kill you.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Play stupid, very stupid. That always works for me (similar type of BS call). They give up quickly. Either that or speak another language.
    This is funny icon_lol.gif
    I will try this next time (even with telesales guys).. Thanks..
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I either play stupid or hand the phone to my 2 year old.
    I try to derail them by striking up an interesting conversation. This is a two-pronged attack:
    1. I delay them from calling other people.
    2. I frustrate them, as they frustrate others.

This was when I still had a contract phone. Now I have my tracfone, I just hang up and don't bother going for an hour on the phone. The most recent was awesome! Telling me I've won a home security system... When I have no home. I may not be interested! ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Very interesting video of Scamming the Scammers.

Troy Hunt: Scamming the scammers – catching the virus call centre scammers red-handed

Needless to say, I haven't actually had a phone call from them at all, but I have definitely consulted many abou it.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    lol all good ways to handle those types of calls. Every now and then I get calls from all over the US trying to sell me health insurance most of the time I just hang up but if I'm bored I'll pretend I am interested, put them on hold multiple times, repeatedly ask questions just phrase them differently, basically just see how much time of theirs I can waste before they decide to hang up.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Let them talk to 'Siri' icon_smile.gif
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jimmyhelujimmyhelu Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't be surprised if you end up doing network security and systems administration as well. Then again if they were looking for someone to do both why didn't they ask about OS certifications?
    You are lucky that you got the call for this job, I know sometimes in HR if the hiring manager puts down he certain certification they don't even bother calling people without it listed on the resume.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah. It's bogus.

I talked to them once and my wife always answers the phone when I'm studying. I told her to tell them flat out that we own a Mac.

You can report cyber crime like this to the FBI? I need to look into that. I have a vm set up just in case.

See if these jackasses call back.

Jimmy, I think you got the wrong thread haha
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Play dumb indeed. They need to make the most use of their time. In my experience, that works or if they know they are talking to an IT professional....they also bounce. Thats what happens in my office when staff have said they would transfer to me. They hang up before I evem get to answer it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • efrippefripp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have had this happen as well. Just hang up on them. Not much else to do.
    Report them, seems to be the growing way to deal with it.

If nothing else, you feel better about attempting to do something.