The computer that got humans to the moon

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was just listening on news that Neil Armstrong - the first person on the moon passed away today. It made me think about how amazing that time must have been.

And as an IT professional, I couldn't help but marvel about accomplishment with the limited computing power that was available in 1969.

The computer used for navigation on the Apollo capsule had a clock-rate of 2.048Mhz with 4Kb of RAM. By comparison, the Droid 4 where I am typing this post has a 1.2GHz dual-core CPU and comes with 1GB of RAM.

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is truly amazing to think about.
    Just wait, 30 years from now that droid will be an antique just like the computer used by the apollo. lol
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    Yep the rate technology has been improving is quite remarkable. Neil Armstrong helped pave the way for future space exploration. Now a few decades later thanks to virgin galatic @ $200,000 a ticket you can fly into space for a couple of hours flight into space. To be specific it's a sub-orbital flight but none the less if I had 200k to waste that's something I would do for sure. icon_cool.gif Now that private corporations are building spacecraft more and more people will be taking those flights and as the technology improves the prices for these flights will start to come down.
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It was amazing what they achieved with the computers they had. Things like non network between the commander modules and lander, meaning some data had to be read of the screen in one module and transferred by hand to the other terminals.

Shows what people can do with limited technology and how they can push it to the limits, adapting to achieve what would seem to be the impossible. Space exploration really has push the boundaries of computing. Just think of the latest curiosity landing on mars, A completed automated landing sequence that would have pushed a team of people to carry out manually

I still think the things they are doing today are no less impressive, despite the increase of computing powers, but utmost respect to the indivuals like Armstrong and the team at NASA who paved the way, the people who showed the world what could be achieved and open the doors for those that followed.

Thoughts are with Neil's Family and friends today, and hope he rest in peace. May be NASA will see fit to give him one more trip to the moon, or may be a little but further in to space. Wouldn't it be lovely if the first maned mission to Mars had him on board. :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Coincidentally, about 20 minutes before Mr. Armstrong's death hit the news, I was sitting in my hair salon in Pasadena when I looked to my right and saw NASA Mohawk guy getting his hair done. Had an awesome conversation with him about going to MIT and the Mars rover. Right as he walked out of the salon, I received the CNN update on my phone. It was sad. I snapped this picture of him

BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • synseqsynseq Member Posts: 123
    I wonder if he will get a space burial...
    Life is not a gift for man, man is himself life, his wants and needs serve the singular purpose of existence, any man who loses sight of this and does not cherish life itself is in the hardest of ways.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Coincidentally, about 20 minutes before Mr. Armstrong's death hit the news, I was sitting in my hair salon in Pasadena when I looked to my right and saw NASA Mohawk guy getting his hair done. Had an awesome conversation with him about going to MIT and the Mars rover. Right as he walked out of the salon, I received the CNN update on my phone. It was sad. I snapped this picture of him

Haha. I suppose he has become a celebrity of sorts.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • efrippefripp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've actually seen the flight computer that got him there. It's on display at the American Computer Museum in Bozeman, MT.