Geek Squad

nathancpikenathancpike Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondering how hard it would be to land a job with the Geek Squad. I'm taking IT Essentials right now in the Cisco Adademy, and I also have several years of experience (mostly as a hobby) tinkering around with computers. I'm a bookseller at Barnes and Noble right now, and whenever there's a computer problem, instead of getting on the phone with support services, they just ask me to take care of it. For the most part, I do pretty well with the hardware aspect of computers but I could probably use some work on the software aspect. Any advice?

Comments

• Well, if the managers interviewing at the location you are interested in are anything like the managers I have, my cat could probably land a job on Geek Squad. Of 20 of us, 4 were certified in any way, and about 6 of them had never even opened a computer or seen the inside of a computer before. However if you want a job as a double agent, you'll have to work hard because they actually know what they are doing.
  • nathancpikenathancpike Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty much just looking for a second part time job that has something to do with what I'm going to school for. I think Geek Squad would be the perfect experience starter job. What are the usual daily activities of a Geek Squad agent?
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    what is a double agent? icon_confused.gif
    get back to studying!!!
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
  • ejoynerejoyner Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dont do it..
    I worked for Geek Squad for 5 months.

-You will feel like a dirty person working for them, they love to try to sell $300.00 in repair services for a six year old computer.

-Very Tough to get the job, they have 100 people at all times waiting in line for a job.

-Double Agents go to people houses and rack up the 500.00 bills

If you are not a manager at best buy, or any retail store for that matter, They dont give one peice of crap about you.

You'll regret even trying to get a job there, its hell on earth.
  • Double agents drive the geekmobile and do on-site services. Just remember that best buy is a retail company. They are way more concerned with how much $ you make than your skills as a technician.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Anybody have any horror stories about working or using the Make It Work service? They are running around in those red and white Mini Coopers. They seem to be in competition with the computer fix-it company the runs around in the black and white Mini Coopers.

http://www.makeitwork.com/
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Anybody have any horror stories about working or using the Make It Work service? They are running around in those red and white Mini Coopers. They seem to be in competition with the computer fix-it company the runs around in the black and white Mini Coopers.

http://www.makeitwork.com/

JD, looks like they are only in California. I think somebody should start a company like that, have people drive around in camo colored Hummers, with big 50 caliber machine guns mounted on top, with the words "Computer Bug Blaster" painted on the side of the guns. :D
  • certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    not the best job in the world.
  • JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about Geek Squad being all charge-you-up-the-ass and not really getting all of the work done. If you insist on getting a different job as experience, go for it, whether you like it or not in the end, at least you found out what it was all about.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • HotRodHamesHotRodHames Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was considering applying for a job with the Geek Squad, but after hearing these horror stories, I think that I will just pass. Anyone ever work for Rescue.com? They are hiring in the DC area, and I just wanted to know what they are like.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    um .... pest control ?????

that's funny I just applied to geeksquad online for a second job ....
    i hope they don't call me ...
    besides the online screening, background check , and pesonality inventory are lame ....
    rm -rf /
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    so does anyone have a good place to recommend for a second job ? icon_confused.gif
    rm -rf /
  • According to your profile you have CISSP? Don't work at best buy, or CompUSA, or any of those places actually. I saw something for Sears on I think it was dice or monster saying they wanted a cissp to deal with their security.
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    ejoyner wrote:
    Dont do it..
    I worked for Geek Squad for 5 months.

-You will feel like a dirty person working for them, they love to try to sell $300.00 in repair services for a six year old computer.

-Very Tough to get the job, they have 100 people at all times waiting in line for a job.

-Double Agents go to people houses and rack up the 500.00 bills

If you are not a manager at best buy, or any retail store for that matter, They dont give one peice of crap about you.

You'll regret even trying to get a job there, its hell on earth.

Wow, glad they didn't call me back.......

I applied at Best Buy and the guy said he will call and he never did...
    I went back again and he said he will call and he didn't... I applied at Compusa about 10 times...... nothing.....

They have some **** people working there too...... all I wanted is a second job for a little extra cash.....

Jokers icon_lol.gif
  • ubergeekubergeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    darkuser wrote:
    so does anyone have a good place to recommend for a second job ? icon_confused.gif
    yeah, as what "crap I forgot my old pwd" said don't waste your CISSP on bestbuy.. and they may not hire you coz they might think you are going to replace them permanently.. :D
    Thank you for calling Cisco Technical Assistance Center.. This is Edward how may I help you?