8570 and CompTIA

I have A+/Net+/Sec+ that qualifies me for my current position as a DoD contractor. However, by Dec 31 2012, everyone has to enroll in the compTIA Continuing Education Program. Thing is, I plan to take (and hopefully pass) my CISSP in about a month and a half which would over-ride the comptia certs I have for my position based on DoD Directive 8570.01.
Question is... Would it benefit me in any way to enroll in the CEP for my compTIA certs even if I am a CISSP before 31 Dec? My company would likely pay the annual maintenance fee. I want my comptia certs to still mean something. Thoughts?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in the CE program and all it means is that you don't stop learning. When you get your CISSP you have to submit 120 CPEs in 3 years, 20 minimum each year. For CompTIA its 50 CE in 3 years. I don't see why not....it is a good way on learning how to submit CEs
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Welcome to the DOD man. Not everything here makes a whole lot of sense. I just took the CISSP (haven't gotten the results yet because I took the PBT), and I've already been told that I will have to continue to make good on my CE for CompTIA. I made a request for them to pay for my CE for ISC2 instead, but they won't do it. On the plus side, anything you use for one, you can probably use for the other. But it will be a pain dealing with multiple continuing education accounts.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If they're willing to pay for it, take advantage of it, especially if it's a requirement.

However, according to this:

DoD 8570 Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program

You just have to have one of the certs to meet the requirements of your IA level. All of the certs on the list should have a CE requirement (I know the CompTIA and ISC2 ones do, no idea on SANs, ISACA, etc).

I'm military, and I've only been one place where 8570 mattered. Obviously, it's a little different for contractors. Even if they're not willing to pay for the CE, you should pay for it. It's an investment.
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    Even when I have my CISSP I don't want my Sec+/Net+/A+ to not mean much because I hadn't enrolled in the CEP program. So I think I will enroll in it.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

When you enroll, they will look at your highest cert, which is S+, and all of your other certs will becom CE as well. A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE so when you submit 50 CE in a 3 year period, they all renew.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    On your resume are you supposed to put Security+ CE, Network+ CE, etc ?

I do! I've been to job interviews and they asked what is that and I simply tell them I have decided to continue my education and keep my certifications up to date by perform certain IT security actions. They've seemed impressed but I wasn't impressed with their offers icon_wink.gif
    CISSP is going to meet your IA requirements (up to the highest level). You must submit CPEs and pay an annual maintenance fee in order to maintain the certificiation.

I have Net+, Sec+ and A+ under the old CompTIA testing. I also have the CE for all of the ones. But I'll be honest, I could care less. I haven't been updating the CE or paying the fees. Supposedly, the DoD is supposed to be paying it, but I don't care. I have CEH, CISSP and plan on obtaining CISM down the road, which are a little higher up the totem pole than TIA's rinky dink certs (and if they ever validate and accredit CASP, I already have that one too).
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't care about my A+, I might do the CE for my Security+. Not sure to be honest I keep forgetting about it.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I don't care about my A+, I might do the CE for my Security+. Not sure to be honest I keep forgetting about it.

Your A+ would automatically renew when you do your Security+
  • efrippefripp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DO you have to do CE if you have the "old" pre-CE Sec+(or similar) cert?
    Nope but for DoD 8570 you do
    webgeek wrote: »
    Nope but for DoD 8570 you do
    This. Part of the requirement is a test/skills that can be recertified in a given time period, since IT is a continually changing industry. They want to ensure the work force is educated and keeping up to date with relevant changes.