Definitely lives up to its reputation

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
Wow, that test was brutal. In my opinion, the practice exams provided by ISC2 in my bootcamp did not come close to the actual exam questions. Personally, I'd say the Shon Harris questions were probably closer. I took the paper based, so I won't know the results for a couple weeks. But only two major thoughts for now:

- I felt like there were way too many questions that had multiple correct answers (I hate that, "pick the best answer" ****). Probably only about 10% of the questions that I was 100% sure on. The rest were educated guesses. On the plus side, there wasn't a single question I wasn't able to confidently narrow down to two answers, so I may have passed.

- Crytography went way deeper than I expected for a "high-level management certification." I actually felt very comfortable with cryptography going in because I understand the theory behind all of the different concepts (i.e. symmetric, asymmetric, PKI, block ciphers, stream ciphers, etc...). But I didn't expect that there would be so many questions in regard to the actual implementations of specific algorithms...but there were. I cannot emphasize enough that details in the cryptography domain should not be overlooked. If I don't pass, I think this is the area I need to work on the most (ironically one of the areas I felt most prepared for going into the exam).

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    A) Everyone comes out of the test feeling like crap
    B) Waiting is the hardest part
    C) Good job & good luck
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    A) Everyone comes out of the test feeling like crap
    B) Waiting is the hardest part
    C) Good job & good luck

Thanks. It helps to hear that. I can say that of the people that I took the course with (approximately 20 people), I was doing the best on the practice questions. But I'm not sure how good of an indication that is. I wish I could go to sleep for the next 3 weeks and wake up with my results :-/
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hope the results come back positive, I know you studied your butt off for this certification.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Vik210Vik210 Member Posts: 197
    You have done your job, now sit back and relax.
    the_hutch wrote: »
    - I felt like there were way too many questions that had multiple correct answers (I hate that, "pick the best answer" ****). Probably only about 10% of the questions that I was 100% sure on. The rest were educated guesses. On the plus side, there wasn't a single question I wasn't able to confidently narrow down to two answers, so I may have passed.
    This is so much similar to how I felt after CISA exam.

Good luck with your result.
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Now try to forget about for 3 weeks. Breathe easy. You just completed a gargantuan effort - give yourself credit for that, and have confidence. I expect to see a PASS post from you next month. It sounds like you did just fine.
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the support. Hopefully I get good news, but if not, I'm fully prepared (although not entirely enthused) to do it all over again.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hopefully you can keep your mind busy on other things!

I just completed the SSCP on Friday and I have my sites on the CISSP in a couple of years. How long did you spend studying including the bootcamp?
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    Wishing you the best!!!
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Good luck Hutch - I'm sure you did fine (especially given your background). Even though I couldn't follow this advice when I took the test... try not to think about it too much. Try your best to relax and focus on other pursuits. It will help the time go by faster.

Even better, take a vacation. I took the test on a Saturday and then flew to Costa Rica the next day. Spent a week in Costa Rica not even thinking about the exam.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree with DMOORE. I'm sure you did well; well enough to just forget about it until you get your results. I hear Hawaii is nice right around now. icon_wink.gif
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • efrippefripp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely difficult. Gl, but you wouldn't be the first to retest...