**** Dish, switch to Hulu?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Im sure there has been threads about this, but I can't find them. For those of you who got off of satellite/cable, are you having any regrets withing to Hulu? Im basically looking to save some money. Tired of the 55/mo.

Comments

• Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I shut mine off because I had Netflix streaming and DVD rental. I think I am about to cancel my streaming and get Hulu Plus. The streaming is not as good for me because I like to watch more TV shows then I do movies. Since I have shut my sat off I haven't had 1 regret. Hell I spend more time watching TV then before I shut it off.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't done it, but I think if you combine it with Netflix and Amazon Prime (free video for Prime members) you would be doing just fine.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I liked Netflix when I had it over my PS3. Pretty good. Just disappointing selection at times.

I had hulu plus when it first came out, even more disappointing. Although im sure they've increased their perks by now.

I never watch TV a lot so it wasn't a big deal for me.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I heard the CEO of Hulu was bailing? Not sure content providers are over joyed with the cable cutters.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Im looking at the Roku boxes to partner with Hulu, Netflix, etc. Anyone used these?
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I take it that none of you are sports fans. I need my Sundays football to keep me sane. I have an HD antenna in handy in case my parent decided to bail cable, but I had nothing to do with that decision. When I was in college, I lived off-campus and didn't want to pay for cable with roommates. The antenna served me well. I think you guys should invest in one rather than wasting more money on a subscription plan.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I use NetFlix and Hulu (not plus.) The only time I haven't like so far is when I couldn't see the Olympics online. I'm still a little annoyed with NBC about that. What on earth were they thinking???? I'm going to eventually get a Roku, but for now I just plug my laptop in to the TV using a Digital to HDMI adaptor. Crystal clear.
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Im looking at the Roku boxes to partner with Hulu, Netflix, etc. Anyone used these?

A new Blu-Ray player would probably serve you better. They all now have those services built in as do the newest TVs with network connectivity.
  • efrippefripp Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hulu sucks, but paying all of that money for Dish without being on-demand... piss on 'em. I use netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Vudu, whoever's got what I want to watch. Some people actually use tvtorrents.com?!? Not me though.

Oh yeah, I use Boxee and Roku, even PC when necessary. They are all missing certain things. Boxee- no Hulu, Roku- no Vudu, etc...
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I take it that none of you are sports fans. I need my Sundays football to keep me sane. I have an HD antenna in handy in case my parent decided to bail cable, but I had nothing to do with that decision. When I was in college, I lived off-campus and didn't want to pay for cable with roommates. The antenna served me well. I think you guys should invest in one rather than wasting more money on a subscription plan.
    The only thing keeping me with DirecTV right now is NFL Sunday Ticket and I'm at the point when I'll still say screw it and just watch streams of the games on Sunday.

I'm also very interested in the Vizio Co-Star.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    I take it that none of you are sports fans...

I am, but I love hockey - and to get my hockey fix, I subscribe to NHL GameCenter Live. I get to stream all of the hockey games to my phone, tablet, computer, Google TV, and later this fall - to my Xbox.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i get most of my tv from amazon/netflix combo
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I cancelled my Netflix and only have Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime streaming off of my Samsung TV, 360, or WDTV!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I never had cable up until last year icon_sad.gif. I couldn't imagine getting rid of it now! Being limited to only 7 channels up until then, I have a ton of TV series to watch! Who knew I could watch 10 different auction shows. Haha.

I had netflix for 6 months but never watched it much as they didn't have a good selection (Back in 09?)
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The only thing keeping me with DirecTV right now is NFL Sunday Ticket and I'm at the point when I'll still say screw it and just watch streams of the games on Sunday.

Thank gosh! Glad to see I'm not the only one here. icon_lol.gif I might consider NFL Sunday Ticket when I get my own place next year or so, but we will see.
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I am, but I love hockey - and to get my hockey fix, I subscribe to NHL GameCenter Live. I get to stream all of the hockey games to my phone, tablet, computer, Google TV, and later this fall - to my Xbox.

Since you mentioned NHL, you should check out Cisco's homepage. You ought to thank them for the streaming.
  • Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Im sure there has been threads about this, but I can't find them. For those of you who got off of satellite/cable, are you having any regrets withing to Hulu? Im basically looking to save some money. Tired of the 55/mo.

I'll be honest. I dropped satellite awhile back for Netflix/Hulu and regret it. I wanted to save money as well and I did, but you get tired of watching the same shows over and over again. I miss listening to the news and watching espn. If anything I would say get basic cable. Just my opinion.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went the Roku route a while back, last year sometime. Got Netflix and Hulu and am very satisfied; It's well worth the money in my opinion. The best part is that you have to find something to watch, you can't just turn it on and let it watch you. That little bit of extra effort required has led to the whole family watching less, which I think is great!
    The corps are working on killing Netflix slowly by pulling content and eventually Hulu will go away. I figure eventually they will force us to go through your ISP for access to all the shows again. I got an OTA installed on my roof for the regular networks
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    The corps are working on killing Netflix slowly by pulling content and eventually Hulu will go away.
    Hulu is owned by some major content providers. They may want to kill Netflix, but I doubt they will kill off Hulu.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Hulu is owned by some major content providers. They may want to kill Netflix, but I doubt they will kill off Hulu.

I keep reading these stories and content providers yanking stuff.

DailyTech - News Corp. and Disney Plan to Yank Hulu Content, But Hope to up Subscriptions
  • WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Networks and content providers want to go through carrier-based delivery systems that are tied to cable subscriptions. That way they can not only make more money from subscription deals with carriers but they can also control exclusivity. Verizon gets this, Cox gets that, Comcast gets both of those, etc. My own cable provider already has their Hulu-like service up and running with pretty much everything I get on cable TV.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I killed cable a long time ago. Do I miss it? Well, this year I missed the Olympics and the "Hatfields n' McCoys". Generally, I feel family life improved as the amount of television in it decreased! I watch sports live or at a sports bar with friends. More fun than the couch. :)
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    We cut the cable tie about 6 months ago and are now subsisting on Netflix and Amazon prime. It's nice dumping the $50+ cable bill and we don't watch TV that much anyway. The kids do well with Netflix when they watch TV.

It's like this -
    "I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book." - Gracho Marx
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I haven't had cable for over 5 years now. Most of the shows I watch are either free online the next day or can be easily purchased through iTunes. Spending $1-4/week is still cheaper than $50-100 a month
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    If I didn't have 4 kids, I would kill TV for good. However, I am going to switch to DirectTV for a cheaper rate and $100 credit from my neighbor.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    We dropped cable over a year ago, and use Hulu and Netflix for entertainment. My wife has also gotten into Korean dramas (don't ask me how) and watches them on DramaFever, which also as a Roku app. Oh, and we both have Amazon prime subscriptions, so we can do Amazon instant video on the Roku/Xbox, they have a pretty decent selection of free TV shows and movies as well.

About the only thing I miss is football. I wish the NFL would offer live streaming in the US, but unfortunately, the best we can day is on demand replays. So we listen to the live stream of the Pittsburgh radio station that carries the Steeler games, it's actually kind of cool in an old school way (but reminds me of how much I miss Myron Cope). OH, and NBC does live stream their Sunday night games, so there is that at least.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    If I didn't have 4 kids, I would kill TV for good. However, I am going to switch to DirectTV for a cheaper rate and $100 credit from my neighbor.

Steve - if you have AAA you can get $200 off as well as the $100 refer a friend.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
    We dropped cable and went to Directv. With AAA $200 discount plus $100 refer a friend our monthly bill is under $50/mo. My wife and I discussed dropping cable all together but we didn't want to deal with the hassle (plus we have two kids).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My biggest concerns going cable free are programming from channels like discovery, natgeo, and whatever the name of that trucrime network. I dont think that stuff is on hulu.
    Seph - I agree with you. I'm a big college football fan. I do get ESPN360 via my ISP, but when I've watched it on my computer I've been less than impressed with the quality.