FRUs

Sandra MorrisonSandra Morrison Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can someone please list the components that are field replaceable units and also list what is not considered a FRU.
Thanks,
Robomom

Comments

• PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    To me an FRU is anything I can carry to a jobsite and replace on the spot - could be RAM, hard disk, ribbon cable, modem card, NIC, etc.
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • AntiochmanAntiochman Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A FRU can be just about any component of of a computer or computer network that a technician might work on or replace at a jobsite.
    To learn is life, living is putting to use what you have learned, death is when this process stops!
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    think of it this way. if a technician is paid x amount of money for a call-out, there are certain things that the customer won't want to see the tech replacing at the higher rate. motherboards for example.
    A+ Moderator
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I'd say any component short of a motherboard and a case.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Traditionally FRUs are things like Power Supplies, Modems, NICs, Floppy Drives, CD-ROM Drives, Graphics Crards, RAM, Cables etc.
    Non-FRU were considered Motherboards, CPUs and Hard Drives.

These days however just about everything is considered field replaceable ...
    Identify basic procedures for adding and removing field replaceable modules.

System board - Power supply - Processor/CPU - Memory - Storage devices - Monitor - Modem - Input devices - Output devices

From another source
    1.2 - Identify basic procedures for adding and removing field replaceable modules:
    System board - Power supply - Processor/CPU - Memory - Storage devices - Monitor - Modem - Input devices - Output devices. Portable system components covering Digital Cameras, Pointing Devices, PC Cards and DC Controllers.

I guess except for the case that covers it icon_rolleyes.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007