Certification Videos/Media

First, I apologize if this has already been posted. If this is the case, please direct me towards any previous post(s).

I am looking for FREE certification media in the form of video (or audio). I always find it easier to study something if I can visualize (or hear) it, as opposed to merely reading a book.

That said, does anyone have any suggestions (links for example) for FREE (or cheap) certification related media (video in particular)???

Thanks,
- Joey

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Hi,

You probably won't be able to cover all exam objectives for a particular exam by using only 'free' videos, but there is some free stuff out there:

I've created some CBTs for the 70-270 exam which you can access here:
    www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5400

At cbt nuggets you can watch a 30-60 minute free video for most of the popular exams.

If you are going for a Microsoft certification, you can watch free videos about a large variety of topics, though not always directed to a exam objective. If you are going for the MCDST exam, search for the free Microsoft clinic online course.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The Security School section at SearchSecurity.com has free audio lessons with slides on the ten domains of the CISSP. This information is good for other security certs as well: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/content/0,290959,sid14_gci1011810,00.html

SearchSecurity.com Security School home page: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/general/1,295582,sid14_gci1150915,00.html?Offer=SEwnschool1
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    Thanks guys. I have been wanting to check out the CBT Nuggets videos, but ironicly enough I just found out about them yesterday before I made the post above. I have not yet been able to view their videos as for some unknown reason they refuse to play. In addition, their website seems to be down right now, so perhaps they are having some technical issues or perhaps I am the one with the issues. Only time will tell which is which.

BTW: I am primarily looking videos regarding CompTIA exams, such as A+, Network+ and Security+. But other exams such as Server+, Linux+, MCP (Windows XP Pro and 2000 Pro) and Cisco certs (CCNA, CCNP, CCSP) are useful as well, as I have been considering looking into those lately.

- Joey
    You may not have the video codec installed on your computer that you need to view the CBT Nuggets videos. Check their web site for info on the codec you need to play them. Also, the CBT Nuggets materials are "for cost" and are not free. Are you only looking for free training materials?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Indeed, CBTnuggets aren't free, but as I mentioned above you can watch a free video for most of the popular exams and usually covers one or more exam objectives so the 'for free' part is definitely worth it.
    and Cisco certs (CCNA, CCNP, CCSP) are useful as well, as I have been considering looking into those lately.
    Cisco offers free online Quick Learning Modules for several Cisco exams including CCSP. Also check out their CCNA prepcenter for games and more 'visual' learning material.
  • corey1980corey1980 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    http://learnkey.com has some free online lessons as well. For the full course you have to pay, but they have sample sessions you can watch for free.
    I know about LearnKey, they have some nice videos and I'm considering buying one or more of 'em... As for CBT Nuggets, I was not referring to their "must pay" materials. I was talking about the free ones. I can play videos of many kinds in Firefox without issue at all, but CBT Nuggets refuses to let me know play theirs... Anyway, thanks guys for the suggestions. I will look into picking up one or more "paid" visual lessons for my certification endevure.

- Joey
    Sorry to bring up this "dead thread", but does anyone have any suggestions for certitification media (audio and/or video/visual) that normal people can actually afford??? I've been looking into several sites that offer various media, and they charge hundreds of dollars for video and almost $100 or more for mere audio. I'm basically a poor man, but I learn alot quicker using audio and/or visual media, so this is something I'm more than interested in... Suggestions? Comments? Anything?... Thanks.

- Joey
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    OpenSource wrote:
    Sorry to bring up this "dead thread", but does anyone have any suggestions for certitification media (audio and/or video/visual) that normal people can actually afford???

Sorry to repeat this for you, but CBT Nuggets is affordable considering it is training material to improve ones skillset in the IT market. Regardless of the profession, teaching, Medical, IT, accouting, etc... if you want training, it costs money. For a couple hundred dollars, you'll be getting material that could improve your earning potential much higher than the cost of the videos.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Sorry to repeat this for you, but CBT Nuggets is affordable considering it is training material to improve ones skillset in the IT market. Regardless of the profession, teaching, Medical, IT, accouting, etc... if you want training, it costs money. For a couple hundred dollars, you'll be getting material that could improve your earning potential much higher than the cost of the videos.

I understand, but simply put I don't have that kind of money to spend period... I'm talking like $100 maximum for any kind of video and/or audio... I know how that sounds, but being poor sucks, and that's something I have to deal with. If it's not possible, then I will stick with books. But I don't really see why I need to spend absurd amounts of money on simple video and/or audio materials.

- Joey
    OpenSource wrote:
    But I don't really see why I need to spend absurd amounts of money on simple video and/or audio materials.
    You must realize that the target customers of training companies are business and large organizations, not individual consumers. This is why software tools, like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office, are so expensive. The target customers are businesses that have operating capitol and not the paycheck-to-paycheck consumers like us.

If you are a student, you might find the software you need at an academic discount. If you need a lot of cheap software, it's certainly worth staying enrolled in a local community college just for the discounts.

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/

http://www.studentdiscounts.com/
    You must realize that the target customers of training companies are business and large organizations, not individual consumers. This is why software tools, like Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office, are so expensive. The target customers are businesses that have operating capitol and not the paycheck-to-paycheck consumers like us.

That I am aware of, and one of the reasons I find prices of software to be absurd. I'm sick of corporations not giving the individuals any options... But anyway, those two sites you listed had some interesting stuff, but nothing that can be of any use to me right now. I'm looking for certification media, not really cheap software. I have plenty of software and friends to help me obtain expensive software at a cheaper price or even free...

So, once again, does such a thing exist, where I can buy or otherwise obtain cheaper certification media in the form of andio and/or video. I have plenty of books and have plenty of cheap resources for books. I am looking for media to help me further my certification endeavour (sp?). As mentioned previously, I work better and learn quicker if I can have some form of visual and/or audio output, rather then merely reading a 700 page book... Thanks...

- Joey
  • shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    So, once again, does such a thing exist, where I can buy or otherwise obtain cheaper certification media in the form of andio and/or video.

Sorry man, I don't know what else to tell you. I think CBT Nuggets are the cheapest videos you can get. They are also very good study resources. If you really want the videos your just going to have to save up some money and buy them.

I know it sucks but that's life. We all had to do it at one point or another.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think that most people probably learn/remember more using the method you speak of (visual), but to be honest, there's no way around it, you will absolutely have to do a lot of reading to be successful in this field. As you probably already know, a lot of things change and change very quickly in IT. So to keep up and maintain your awareness you'll have to read. Sometimes technologies are out for a while before anyone even makes an effort to make videos or other types of training multimedia. Try to find video training for doing Cisco VoIP. It will be pretty hard (quality training that is). My advice is to keep reading as much as you can find time, practice and improve your skill set. There is a good chance this will lead you to a job good enough to pay you enough to afford the quality videos, or better yet; A job that will buy them for you. My sister wanted to go to medical school, but couldn't afford it (my parents were far from rich), so she became an RN worked for three years, saved then paid for half of medical school and got scholarships to cover the rest. There is absolutely always a way to get to where you want to be. Just be patient, and take what you can get (or afford) for now. Good luck

Keatron