Options

Make Open Office open faster and load documents faster

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Since upgrading to the latest version of OO (3.4) we noticed a slow down in how long it would take to initially open the program and documents created with it.

I found this solution, and it seems to work from version 3.0 and above, and thought I would pass it along to those who use Open Office at work and/or at home.

Start Open Office and click on Tools > Options. This should open the configuration. Click on Memory in the left menu and change the following settings:
• Number of Steps: 30
• Use for Open Office: 128
• Memory per Object: 20
• Number of Objects: 20 . Once finished, click on Java in the left menu afterwards and uncheck "Use a Java Runtime Environment". Click ok, then close Open Office and re-open. You should see a big difference.

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Does this remove the dependency on using JRE? I know with the java exploit going around and the PSA I sent out to all my after hours customers, some are concerned as they use LibreOffice/Open Office.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice! Big thanks + rep for this tip!
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs