Options

Excellent book for learning PowerShell

EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I've recently started reading "Learning Windows PowerShell In a Month of Lunches" by Don Jones. I'm only on Chapter 7, but am loving it as much as I loved the O'Reilly book on Perl.

My experience with coding/scripting books is you end up flipping through pages of command output that you could just as easily produced on a lab machine. This author seems to be one of the few I have run into that gets this and doesn't include the output and assumes you are following along with a lab machine.

The small labs at the end are enjoyable and help reinforce the concepts. Later chapters require you to utilize commands you learned in earlier chapters, which is a nice bonus.

Finally, each chapter is designed to be completed in an hour or less (hence the book's title). My experience so far has been that this holds true.

I'll update the thread when I'm finished, but definitely loving the PowerShell experience so far.

Any other suggestions for follow-up books? I'd love something that is geared less towards learning the language and more towards real-life usage.

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out the "Managing" series. There are 3. Managing Windows Server, SharePoint, and Active Directory. I have only fully read the SharePoint book and it is really good full of real-world examples you can rob and make yourself look very good.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is great info! I picked a book on Powershell some time ago but I didn't like the format much. I will look for this one!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    I have this book and have been meaning to open it. I will now make getting started with it my goal for today.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    It is indeed an awesome book. I have been using it to supplement & shore up my knowledge. I knew how to do a lot in powershell before, but I've learned more efficient, cleaner ways to do things thanks to this book.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    This book is amazing and really worthwhile for anyone who is looking at powershell from a novice to an expert.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out the "Managing" series. There are 3. Managing Windows Server, SharePoint, and Active Directory. I have only fully read the SharePoint book and it is really good full of real-world examples you can rob and make yourself look very good.

I'm going to have to check that series out Rob
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Rob great information I'll pass that on to our SharePoint SME. She has been looking for additional training material.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□

Thanks for the recommendation Rob. I'll grab a few of these after I finish up this one.