Options

STP Blocking?

myk_roquemyk_roque Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a question with which how STP operates when in blocking mode. I have always believed that when in blocking, the switch will not recieve any information on the blocked port.

The question is, will the blocked port on a switch still receive BPDUs?
“Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something”

Comments

• Options
    Ooops,.. I actually found it,.. I reread the book on the chapter regarding STP. Just for everyone to know. Ports in blocking mode will not forward frames but will still listen to BPDUs.
    “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something”
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Good catch....think of it like this. If you have to paths to a location, STP will put one of the ports in blocking. If it did not listen to BPDUs, it would never know if that other port went down. So, it blocks all traffic that can cause loops, but still listens for the time it needs to come out of that state.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    I sorta Figured there should be some way the switch would know when to reconfigure their ports. thats a nice tip. Thanks.