How should I start??please help

angelhugoangelhugo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello my name is Angel and I am new to this site.
Well I am looking for some advice on how should I start building my career and my life...
I am 22 years old and im currently unemployed but i want to get ahead on life by going to school.
The thing is that I cannot get any kind of financial help and therefore i cannot afford to go to Schools like ITT tech or UEI college or any schools similar to them because a career there would cost me about 16 grand for 8 months.

But I have done a lot of research online and I barely found out about certificates like compTIA+ and well I was wondering if it would be good for me to start by getting this certificate which i can afford and then will I be able to get a job?
I just want to get a job and keep studying and getting certificates but of course i need money.

Please let me know what would be the best option for a guy like me.
I am still living with my parents and they also want me to go to school and they will help me pay for this. I just need the right certificate to start and keep going.

Thanks to all and hope to hear some good advices.

PS: I do not have any pro experience in computer but since I love computers I know more than the basic skills and I have done some repairs by myself just with the help I find online. and I like working with software and fixing them ficsically.

Comments

• the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Welcome to the forums. And yes, CompTIA is definitely the best place to start. A+ is probably your best bet. I don't want to mislead you and promise that you are going to get a job by virtue of this certification alone. But it will definitely increase your chances.
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    have any college credits, you could finish a degree in IT, its not expensive to go to college. just apply for financial aid and file as an independent and you get 100% for your bachelors in any public/state college. A+ is a good start
  • someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    U cant get financial aid? try your local community college..
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_hutch wrote: »
    Welcome to the forums. And yes, CompTIA is definitely the best place to start. A+ is probably your best bet. I don't want to mislead you and promise that you are going to get a job by virtue of this certification alone. But it will definitely increase your chances.

Agree with the_hutch, the A+ by CompTIA is probably the best starting point for IT certification. You could also look into Cisco's CCENT, which is also an entry-level certification.
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    Community college is probably a good deal for the money. The problem with a degree is they cost too much and everyone has one. They can be worth it if you land a nice gig but if you end up in a small to medium sized company they will compare you to a person without a degree and wonder why you cost more. If you definitely want a BS, then plan for that and make sure your credits will transfer but the community college route will likely be less expensive. I see a lot of guys on here doing WGU and that seems to be sensible and cost effective way to get a degree if you have the time to dedicate to getting done fast. What about the national guard or a military branch?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    OP mentioned IIT or UEI, I think these are Indian universities. Sorry I don't know how the financial aid system works in India, but I thought people in India can get loans from banks for education?

Anyway, my advice: just get your hands dirty and try to get any entry level job. Start somewhere, and you will figure it out later. You can save some money, and you will get to know how the industry work.

Good luck
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    OP mentioned ITT Tech.

I would also suggest the community college route. Cheaper and a sometimes easier for a working adult to complete part time. If you don't have experience, so if they can help you set up an experience. Use the classes to help you prep for certs. maybe you can find one that is part of the Cisco or VMware academy programs.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete