Server Room BTU/hr

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
What's a good way to estimate the BTU generated by a Server / Switch. I know I can go to some thing like the APC UPS site and use there tool but this assumes the device is running at 100%.

are there any good tools that you can use to get an idea of the level of air con a server room requires. (only a small server room here)
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OK I know I can work out BTU from watts so I though lets take the UPS and see what that is telling me the equipment is drawing..

UPS is rated at 15,000VA
    it is at 81% load

has a power factor of 0.91 and Crest Factor of 1.45

so friom this I work out watts as

15,000 * 80% * 0.91 = 10920 Watts

1 watt = 3.41214163btu/hr

so 10920 * 3.41214163 = 37260btu/hr

Can any one confirm that reasoning?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I calculate manually. Make a list of all the machines you have, and find the BTU of each machine from the vendor's website. Tedious task, but this is the only way that I know of
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DONQUIXOTE007DONQUIXOTE007 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For small Server Room 3 to 4 Tons unit/ 36,000 to 48,000 Btu's.
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I calculate manually. Make a list of all the machines you have, and find the BTU of each machine from the vendor's website. Tedious task, but this is the only way that I know of

You can do this on the APC UPS web site. Trouble is it gives you a max out put not average, working out based on every server running at 100% can triple or more the figures. In a large server room that could be £100,000K of extra cooling.
    For small Server Room 3 to 4 Tons unit/ 36,000 to 48,000 Btu's.

yer that agrees spot on with my figure of 37,260BTU/hr :)