failed INTRO with a 697....

djdeucedjdeuce Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the Cisco Press books, the Sybex book, fast pass and the latest ****.... I don't get it. I have been studying every single day and get in the 80s-90s on all practice tests.

I ended the exam with 20 minutes left and thought it wasn't hard at all. I had one sim which wasnt too hard.

I have a lab at home with two 2501 routers and one 1924...

This is the second exam I have taken, the first was the 640-801 and I got a 624....

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? I really thought I did so well on this until t he score appeared... icon_sad.gif

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well, the problem is kinda obvious. See the xxxxx-ed out product in your post? Throw that away, **** it in the dumpster where it belongs. Forget everything you read in it, and start over. This time try to really understand the topics without reading the actual questions. Apart from that one, you have a very good set of study material that should give you plenty of information to pass the exam.

ps. posting names/urls from ****/**** sites is against our Forum Registration Terms...
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    umm, lets see could it be the .........****

**** icon_evil.gif are frowned upon here very deeply so using them you deservered to fail

however you have a chance to redeem yourself by actually studying/learning the material instead of trying to remember the answers to the questions.. i would suggest reading the technotes.. using the lab sims.. rereading the book cover to cover and making use to the test sim cd in back of the book icon_wink.gif

if you struggled with subnetting try learn2subnet and google it you may find other great resources.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • djdeucedjdeuce Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Well, the problem is kinda obvious. See the xxxxx-ed out product in your post? Throw that away, **** it in the dumpster where it belongs. Forget everything you read in it, and start over. This time try to really understand the topics without reading the actual questions. Apart from that one, you have a very good set of study material that should give you plenty of information to pass the exam.

ps. posting names/urls from ****/**** sites is against our Forum Registration Terms...

Sorry about that.

I read the books cover to cover, and completed all of the questions that cisco had on the CD.
  • Well one thing to add right away, you say you get 85-90 on practice tets. Work on them until you get a 100 everytime. Remember, you are paying to take the test, so this is your hard earned $$ going towards it. It is definately best to study to the max. Sounds like ya got a nice lab for CCNA set up. My lab has only got 2 2507's. I passed INTRO with a 900 and I think it was because I had this lab set up at my disposal. There are people that pay by the hour to go use someone else's lab, so you are definately at an advantage. Keep it up and good luck next time!
  • CertsPlzCertsPlz Inactive Imported Users Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i took the one exam route but it really wasnt that hard the hardest part was not knowing what to expect but in your case you should have a pretty good idea, all u need to do is understand as best as you can what you are doing bcuz all i used was a simulator i had no lab setup and although the simulator would give me grief at times i understood what i was doing and that's really all there is to it, good luck next time but im sure you wont need it
    formerly badboyziggy
    djdeuce wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:

Sorry about that.

I read the books cover to cover, and completed all of the questions that cisco had on the CD.

The great thing of making mistakes is that you can learn from them. I would have simply thrown your topic away if you hadn't mentioned the other study material. I'm not saying you haven't read those books or prepared at all for it besides reading actual questions in advance. The companies that sell those products can only steal questions, they don't know the answer, they can't really explain it, so they can't teach you anything. They are only after your money, and with that hurt the value of the certification you are paying and studying for.

Enough about that. I recommend starting over again, take it one step, well one topic, at a time. Considering you already tried the 801 exam as well and the score on that one and the intro, indicates you do not fully understand the material, yet. Did your score report indicate one or more specific areas you need to work on?

Good luck on your next attempt.
  • ubergeekubergeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□

I agree that sometimes **** may mislead you to the wrong answers. Recommend using exam sims instead, you still have the report sheet fom your previous exam, review on those areas that you had low score and refresh on the areas you performed better.

I wish you luck on your next exam and just **** the **** where they belong. As we say here in tokyo, gambatte! (do your best icon_thumright.gif).. might see your post in here again that you passed. :D
    Thank you for calling Cisco Technical Assistance Center.. This is Edward how may I help you?
  • djdeucedjdeuce Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    djdeuce wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:

Sorry about that.

The great thing of making mistakes is that you can learn from them. I would have simply thrown your topic away if you hadn't mentioned the other study material. I'm not saying you haven't read those books or prepared at all for it besides reading actual questions in advance. The companies that sell those products can only steal questions, they don't know the answer, they can't really explain it, so they can't teach you anything. They are only after your money, and with that hurt the value of the certification you are paying and studying for.

Enough about that. I recommend starting over again, take it one step, well one topic, at a time. Considering you already tried the 801 exam as well and the score on that one and the intro, indicates you do not fully understand the material, yet. Did your score report indicate one or more specific areas you need to work on?

Good luck on your next attempt.

Thank you.

On the 801 I received the following:

Planning and Designing 71%
    Implementation and Operation 60%
    Troubleshooting 24%
    Technology 53%

On the 821 I received the following:

Design and Support 50%
    Implementation and Operation 50%
    Technology 69%

The first exam I took I felt was very hard, the INTRO I felt was a breeze...boy was I wrong.

What would you recommend me going over in detail with the score report I received?

Thanks in advance.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do 1 test option.. taking 2 seperate tests allows for more subject matter to be asked in a given test when using 1 test they will cover the main things that your going to have to be fimiliar with..

2 i would suggest getting a major test simulator and take directed subject area tests.. this will provide better understanding of what your weak areas that you need to strengthen..

past that would suggets relearning the routing protocols, subnetting, switching , lan/wan stuff and configurations
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    You can use the exam objectives to interpret the score report, ie. for the 801 exam:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-801.html

However, based on the percentages on your score report, it looks like you will have to do better on all of them and that with a different draw of questions, you could have had the same percentages but on different areas. I.o.w. don't focus too much on the score reports.