Options

Question on networking career path

HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
For those of you in the networking career path, what do you like or find satisfying about your job?

A little background: I will be retiring from military in Dec. from a non-IT job. I have an IT degree and a couple certs. I'm not sure what IT career path to take. I'm also getting ready to start another cert, just not sure whether it will be CCNA or Windows desktop support (70-685/70-686). From reading the forums I understand I'll probably start at help desk. I can't answer the "what do you like to do?" question since I'm not in the IT field yet. I only know sysadmin folks. I appreciate any info you can give. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you like communications and traffic management, or making things work and be available?

Try and read up a bit of the course material that's out there to get a better feel for the differences in the two. Hey, you could always look at going down the line of security, or maybe project management?
  • Options
    I have read job descriptions and about the different roles. I have a basic understanding about what they do. My question is more of the work enviornment. I'm sure every company is different. Just curious if network admin is more challenging career path? I do enjoy troubleshooting and looking at jobs that aren't too repetitive. The sysadmin folks I do have access to love their job but they mention it gets boring after a while. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    If you don't want a job that isn't too repetitive maybe go for networking or security. They both constantly need to be monitored and updated to keep things running smoothly. Have you thought about maybe doing software/web development type work?
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    HectorP wrote: »
    For those of you in the networking career path, what do you like or find satisfying about your job?
    What I find compelling is the high salary, helping people, and solving complex challenges. Others might describe it as unrelenting, stressful, and not worth the premium.
    HectorP wrote:
    Just curious if network admin is more challenging career path?
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :)
  • Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I have a long way to go but have a better idea of what I want to do. Can't wait to move back and set up a lab!
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    HectorP wrote: »
    more challenging career path?

go for security path especially penetration testing. u can't stop studying :)