Options

best studies matirials for the MCITP?

Hi guys , I want to get ready for the mcitp , 70-640 , 70-642 , 70-646 exams , I already have a virtual machine installed on my pc and already running server 2008 on it , I am doing it all by myself and I want to buy the three books and the labs , which one should I get to get the best out of it and where? ahhh , does the books come with the labs?
Thank you .

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    The best option is to go for the MS Self Paced Study Guide for all the 3 exams. Currently they are selling at a good discount in all online stores. If you are picking these up second hand then ensure you have the 2nd Edition which has the R2 material included.
    Labs are really easy to setup for MS Exams and you dont need much by way of hardware to run it. I used VMware to Virtualize the whole setup for the lab with 3-6 VM's at max. I will highly recommend some video training (I used CBT) and reference material like 2008 R2 Unleashed book for added reference.
    If you want more help just shout!
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The MS Press guides are definitely very useful. Since they can be difficult to digest at times I suggest a second source such as a Sybex book. Having a different angle comes in handy for some topics.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The MS Press Self-Paced books are really good. It has labs at the end of each chapter, and case scenarios at the end of each section. I am also using the Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Unleashed book which is really good at filling in some of the gaps. For training videos, I really like CBT Nuggets. James Conrad is actually quite entertaining, and seeing things being done while explained helps me understand it more than just reading.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    You know after the MCTS Certifications I am a big fan of James Conrad, but on the 646 and other advanced Courses I am finding his videos not upto the mark icon_sad.gif Its sad because he is a pretty decent trainer.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    You know after the MCTS Certifications I am a big fan of James Conrad, but on the 646 and other advanced Courses I am finding his videos not upto the mark icon_sad.gif Its sad because he is a pretty decent trainer.

I like James Conrad and I think the Nuggets are a good starter point for taking your MCITP SA or EA. What I tend to do is start with the Nuggets, then I start on the book. While I read the book I make notes on a notepad (write them) & do the assignment. Just before the exam I review these notes as a primer for the exam. Haven't failed so far, but it takes a great deal of time to jot down notes on 700 pages of material.
  • Options
    Agree on that, but for advanced material like Cluster Shared Volumes/System Center I found him to be lacking
  • Options
    Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    MS pressbooks are good as there what i used along with some train signal videos (I found these to be better than the nuggets) Also once i had read a section from the press book I then looked over what I had learned and then hit technet to make sure that I knew as much as I could. The stickies on here also have some awsome links on. Oh and Lab Lab Lab icon_smile.gif
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Make sure you are using Server 2008 R2, as that is the current version for these exams. I mainly used the MS Press books with Technet to fill in the gaps. The Server 2008 R2 unleashed is good. I thought the Sybex book was a bit light on the topics, though. Main thing is to make sure you lab through all the exam objectives.