webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
Missed it by 23 points crash.gif 677 ncool.gif

The experience:

Compared to the PBT, I find that the CBT was more relaxing. What I mean by that is instead of opening up the booklet and looking at all the questions you are only shown one question at a time. Throughout the exam I felt like I was doing great. Occasionally, I would stop and take a deep breath, relax, and continue.

I had enough time to review the questions I had flag once and then went through the whole exam again and still had 1 hour left.

The worst part:

After I submitted the test, I realized that I answer 2 questions incorrectly. It was like a flash back icon_sad.gif

The bad:

This is the 4th time I have taken this test. Each time missing it by 50 points and this was the closet I have ever been. I took the test 2 times last year and 2 times this year. Which I believe means that I can only take the test 1 more time this year.

What I'm using for study:

CBT Nuggets
AIO
OIG
11th hour CISSP book
cccure test engine (Not a fan due to a lack of grammar)
Kaplan test engine
My own notes which I have summarized and written extra notes; its 35 pages
occasional help from ejg398 icon_razz.gif

Why I am persistant:

I'm currently attending Capella University in the combined BS/MS in Information Assurance and Security. When I pass the CISSP, it would eliminate 24 college credits from my BS and 20 credits from my MS.

My mood:

It is only a test. My wife was worried about me when she found out because she sees me studying hard for this exam. At work and when I get home from work. I told her that it took Lincoln 8 times to fail to later become one of the greatest presidents this nation has ever seen. I WILL not give up!

My recommendations for anyone taking the exam:

Relax! Breathe! It is only a TEST! Yes, just a test! As long as you never give up on your dreams you will not let yourself down!

Worst scoring domain:

The testing center prints out the sheet of paper and it stated the mostly poor domains on the top.
Information Security Governance & Risk Management
Access Control
Security Architecture & Design
BCP/DRP
Cryptography icon_cheers.gif Use to be my worst domain!!!! Glad to see this one move down the list!!!
Telecommunications & Network Security
Software Development Security
Operations Security
Legal
Physical Security

I wish ISC2 would give specific on where improvement is needed, like more precise. But I understand why they don't.

Back to the books icon_study.gif tomorrow to improve, continue reading, continue practicing, and keeping my head up high!

Sorry for the late post. Took my wife out for a long lunch and dinner and had a couple of beers. Just taking things one day at a time! icon_wink.gif
BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+

Comments

• emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    4 times?

Ok. throw all the books in the trash and either attend the official review seminar or buy the review seminar book. I'm sure someone here will let it go for a good price.

If you had mental case for mac I would send you my flash cards for the ISG & Access Control domains. (500 in total).
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Sorry you missed it man, I feel for ya. Im hoping I can pull a rabbit out of my hat tomorrow (technically being that it is after midnight tonight) and bring home the W. but I like the advice, it is only a test, if I fail I will keep the head high and keep going and try again. Good luck to you in your future studies and attempts.
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    4 times?
    I am a visual / hands on learner. I can recall any movie quotes for this reason icon_wink.gif
    Ok. throw all the books in the trash and either attend the official review seminar or buy the review seminar book. I'm sure someone here will let it go for a good price.
    The review seminar book? Are you referring to when you go to a CISSP bootcamp? If so, ejg398 let me borrow it and I didn't notice anything different than the regular books.
    If you had mental case for mac I would send you my flash cards for the ISG & Access Control domains. (500 in total).
    If I get it, would you? I would greatly appreciate it
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry you missed it man, I feel for ya. Im hoping I can pull a rabbit out of my hat tomorrow (technically being that it is after midnight tonight) and bring home the W. but I like the advice, it is only a test, if I fail I will keep the head high and keep going and try again. Good luck to you in your future studies and attempts.

Good luck to you tomorrow! Remember RELAX!!! I will be attempting the test again in about 2 months or whenever I feel confident enough that I can pass.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would say to go to the seminar. Request Gwen as an instructor. She has the amazing ability to explain complex subjects in a way that is a) easy to understand and b) easy to remember. At the end of the 5 day seminar, my brain was mush but I passed. You can get the seminar cheaper than the official page by going to CISSP.com. Good luck, Webgeek. I'm rooting for you!

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I'm cheering for you too, Paperlantern!!!!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great attitude webgeek. You'll get it next time...
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    webgeek wrote: »
    If I get it, would you? I would greatly appreciate it

Sure. Although, it's written using the information from the seminar review book so I don't know how much help it would be.
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    I'm taking the Review Seminar in Dec. 10-14 in Atlanta, GA testing the next day....... Never give up! I'm certainly not!
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • someslackersomeslacker Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear about the test Webgeek. Your next one will be the home run man.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    webgeek,

It seem like you may be getting tired when going through the exam. One way to get rid of this is to quiz like crazy.

One good thing that has come out of the failures is to show your strengths and weaknesses in the domains. This should assisting you in brushing up on your stronger domains and hitting the others a little harder. You may also want to research some of the questions you had on the exam.

Good Luck and don't give up.